Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

leveling kit

jimmyriddle01

56 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The airbags would be left deflated and not in use when there is no load.  When you had them were you leaving enough pressure in them to come into play when the truck was unloaded?  Or you did a complete suspension replacement like an ORO airbag setup for jeeps?  I'm genuinely interested.  I spent years building my own suspensions - mostly leaf spring variants, but also a long travel 4 link setup.

In the setup I had, on a truck I had years ago, it needed pressure left in it or the truck drive like crap. I don’t remember the exact setup as it was like ten years ago. 

I added the front 2.5” which levels the truck perfectly and the AirLift air bags on the rear of my 2015 6.2 Denali. The OEM suggests leaving between 5-7 psi in the bags to assist the internal  bump stops in the bags. I cant really say that the extra 5-7 psi  makes a noticeable difference in the ride because a short bed rides like crap anyway and the faults in the POS 8 speed all but hides any other suspension idiosyncrasies. 40 psi empty will loosen teeth though. I can get my LSV level with @ 40 psi so it pulls great. I have over 40k miles on this set up so far and no issues.

Edited by wdr
Cl

I haven't read the whole thread , but my wife drives a 2018 dmax LTZ. The dealer leveled the front-end. It basically drives like a halfton. That's a compliment. We usually tow our 257 with my Cummins HD, (leveled also) But have towed with the Dmax. Didnt notice the front end pointing up or anything like that, for either truck. Also we always have 1000 lead stowed.

Edited by carguy79ta
On 9/27/2020 at 8:46 PM, jimmyriddle01 said:

I've heard it'll blow out the ball joints, the electronic steering gear, tie rod ends, etc.

I've heard don't go over 1.75", don't go over 2.5", and even 2.25" is the limit before you'll have issues.

I've heard it's from installation errors... Like no support under control arm when you knock the knuckle to separate the ball joint and the sudden drop/slack causes damage. I've heard if you don't disconnect the electronic power steering harnesses or battery the shock from separating the ball joint can cause a spark that damages the EPS.

I've talked to multiple 4x4 shops that install these and most say they've done hundreds/thousands with no issues, which of course I doubt. It's just too widespread of an issue.

So does anyone know the secret recipe to a level kit that won't screw up the front end on these new GMCs? Is there anyone out there that's put a substantial amount of miles (25k or more) with their level kit with out the clicking, popping, etc?

I'm 20k miles in with a 2"  front level kit on 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 (Adaptive Ride Control) and have had absolutely zero issues. The truck was nearly level without a load, so I added 1" rear blocks and Timbren SES stops for towing my '18 23 LSV. The end result was a truck with ~.75" of rake, factory suspension performance without a load, and perfectly level with better than factory control under a load. With the addition of 1" rear blocks, the Timbren SES system is not in contact without bed weight or trailer weight and therefore does not impact normal drive performance. Under load, the Timbren bump stops engage during large compression events (bridges, potholes, etc.) and has completely eliminated the bouncing that is often experienced with a stock half-ton. I would very much recommend this setup if you are looking to reduce factory rake, maintain stock unloaded suspension performance, and increase trailer handling under a load. 

1545113446_IMG_3148copy.thumb.jpg.df6eab9c0d05c0bdf71b96940001647e.jpg

Edited by carnold12
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, carnold12 said:

I'm 20k miles in with a 2"  front level kit on 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 (Adaptive Ride Control) and have had absolutely zero issues. The truck was nearly level without a load, so I added 1" rear blocks and Timbren SES stops for towing my '18 23 LSV. The end result was a truck with ~.75" of rake, factory suspension performance without a load, and perfectly level with better than factory control under a load. With the addition of 1" rear blocks, the Timbren SES system is not in contact without bed weight or trailer weight and therefore does not impact normal drive performance. Under load, the Timbren bump stops engage during large compression events (bridges, potholes, etc.) and has completely eliminated the bouncing that is often experienced with a stock half-ton. I would very much recommend this setup if you are looking to reduce factory rake, maintain stock unloaded suspension performance, and increase trailer handling under a load. 

1545113446_IMG_3148copy.thumb.jpg.df6eab9c0d05c0bdf71b96940001647e.jpg

I'm happy to hear you've had the same experience as I.  I've considered replacing my rear block as well, but I still have the 3/4" rake so I've been undecided on that. 

Great looking truck, too!

On 9/28/2020 at 1:23 PM, wdr said:

2015 6.2 Denali.  the faults in the POS 8 speed all but hides any other suspension idiosyncrasies.

Have you had the fluid flushed with the new Mobil One fluid?  My '18 had the infamous shudder that started around 3k miles; I had it flushed with the new fluid at 6k miles and it 100% fixed the problem.  I'm at 9k miles and haven't had a single case of the shudder since.  The fluid was developed specifically for this problem.  Other than the now-gone shudder, my tranny has been pretty flawless.  Picks gears well, smooth, tow mode shifts where I want it for the most part (better than the 6L80E and far better than the 4L80E in my previous trucks).  I also have the 6.2.  Once out of warranty I may do some tuning tweaks to it (along with convert to E85) but that's 2 years from now.

I have had the trans fail and replaced at @25k miles and have had it flushed and the computer reprogramed pretty much yearly and in one instance twice in a year since I have owned it because of the reoccurring shudder. The shudder seems to have been permanently fixed. Now I have what feels like its doing a neutral drop into Drive from Park and about a 6 foot roll before Reverse engages which is kind of unnerving staring at the edge of a crazy down hill. The dealership has the SB on it and that has been documented on the paperwork on every occasion. The only thing keeping me in this vehicle now is the fact that I have the "million mile warranty" on it which the dealership has been very good about. This has been especially nice for me in that I have had 2 back to back failures on the for the lack of a proper description, auxiliary oil pumps that feed the valve train in the V4 mode. In both cases it bent the push rods on both banks of cylinders and ironically the second failure occurred in the maintenance bay before the road test after they had finished this first cylinder head fix. They haven't flinched on issues that I have had so far. I am going to flog this mule until it dies and they get tired of throwing time and money at it and offer me smoking deal on a 2500. Yeh, I know I will win the lottery first. A man can dream.

Edited by wdr
Cl

I have a 2010 Tundra with the Bilstein 5100's on the highest setting up front, Firestone airbags in the rear, and load range E tires. It looks great, tows much better than stock, but everyday driving it rides really rough for a 1/2 ton and getting annoying to drive all the time. My wife has a 2019 Yukon XL and there is no comparison in ride quality and comfort between the two, even to the point that she doesn't like riding in my truck. Even my friends HD trucks (2021 Chevy 3500 and 2019 Ford F-350) have a smoother ride then my truck. So while it looks great, ride quality can suffer so do your research.

11 minutes ago, jetskipro550 said:

I have a 2010 Tundra with the Bilstein 5100's on the highest setting up front, Firestone airbags in the rear, and load range E tires. It looks great, tows much better than stock, but everyday driving it rides really rough for a 1/2 ton and getting annoying to drive all the time. My wife has a 2019 Yukon XL and there is no comparison in ride quality and comfort between the two, even to the point that she doesn't like riding in my truck. Even my friends HD trucks (2021 Chevy 3500 and 2019 Ford F-350) have a smoother ride then my truck. So while it looks great, ride quality can suffer so do your research.

I think that's the tires.  E range tires do ride rougher.  5100s on my F150 with LT tires is slightly firmer but not even something my wife would notice.

27 minutes ago, jetskipro550 said:

What kind of pressure are you running in the tires?  Running 80psi with an empty half ton is going to rattle your teeth, especially with a stiffer suspension. 

Edited by oldjeep

The tires do make a big difference for sure. During the summer months when towing I usually keep them at 75PSI and then drop down to 60-ish in the winter. I had Michelin LTX MS2 (load range E as well) on prior to the level and air bags and they were smoother then my current tires, BFG AT KO2...but still I noticed the stiffer ride after the level.

2 hours ago, jetskipro550 said:

Firestone airbags in the rear,

Way back in the day I had an F150 that was my wife’s daily driver. We put airbags on to tow a bumper pull camp trailer. It towed much better but was a very rough ride without any weight on it.
If I remember correctly my wife made me take them off. Even with no air in them. They create a shorter travel as the differential is now tied to the frame. the only thing I run bags on now is the utility beds and only to level them so they drive correctly  

YMMV 

4 hours ago, jetskipro550 said:

I have 2019 Silverado 1500 leveled with load range E and it is slightly rougher than my 2020 Sierra 1500 2wd.