Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Someone stole 12 inch sub out of boat last night

Josh7711

Thank you in advance for reading this. 
Someone stole the 12 inch sub from my 2018 Wakesetter MLX last night.(see pic)  It could’ve been worse since this is all they touched. I bought the boat brand new last year, so everything is stock. What kind of speaker was it? Was it marine grade? Specs at attached along with picture of boat how I found it this morning. Speakers are “sound system - wake Mlx package. Black speakers - wet sounds icon 8. Subwoofer 12 inch. Any recommendations on the most economic way to fix this? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks 

897465D2-A776-49D6-B7A2-CCE790716B51.jpeg

6521966E-DDB1-4599-9BC9-87F2560B78C6.jpeg

Well that sucks - but you were lucky they did not trash the boat.  Oh, and watch for repeat offenders; a friend had ALL their stereo stuff ripp-off from their Tige and then when it was all replaced, the thieves came back and got it AGAIN!  This was on a locked, secured private wharf.  The miscreants came in by boat (silent) in the middle of the night and were caught on webcams, but had caps and hoodies so no ID was possible.  Imagine two consecutive insurance claims!

• Like 3

That sucks! I just cant understand people who do that and it's also why I always worry leaving my boat anywhere. That should be the revo 12. At least they left you the speaker girl as you can't get those directly from wetsounds. lol

11 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Yes.  But forget insurance.  The speaker is about $350. Not sure if there is a better, cheaper option or not.

Ok cool thanks! 

Just be sure if you order the sub to buy the free air version. Looks like there is no box. 

Or you could do what many of us would do and take on a project now given the opportunity and build a custom box and upgrade the sub! :biggrin:

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Just be sure if you order the sub to buy the free air version. Looks like there is no box. 

Or you could do what many of us would do and take on a project now given the opportunity and build a custom box and upgrade the sub! :biggrin:

Do this!!!! Great excuse to go bigger. 

Hide trail cam or get one with sim card or if wifi nearby something of the sort to send motion pic etc.

Has happened to me on older boat at public area/slip. Teenage thiefs.. must have been spoofed or they would have taken more

18 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You could also look into high security screws, too.  Unlikely they will drill them out; they'd just move to anpther boat.

Good idea.  You just have to decide how high security.  The one way screws work great but are a real problem to remove if you need to.  The center pin torx screws are pretty secure but even my cheap $15 boat tool kit has them in it.

2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Good idea.  You just have to decide how high security.  The one way screws work great but are a real problem to remove if you need to.  The center pin torx screws are pretty secure but even my cheap $15 boat tool kit has them in it.

These are an interesting option - easy enough to get out with a bit that most people wouldn't have (I know I have not got one - and I have a set with about 100 bit types in it)

https://www.grainger.com/product/5JY45?gclid=CjwKCAjw2dD7BRASEiwAWCtCb7X26v01gDk-PHYs2eltoCe67ua8cQxOOEQjDVgpAwuh0K_Ac6f3YxoCdvcQAvD_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=CjwKCAjw2dD7BRASEiwAWCtCb7X26v01gDk-PHYs2eltoCe67ua8cQxOOEQjDVgpAwuh0K_Ac6f3YxoCdvcQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281698275318!!!g!470148656870!&gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:JBV4HT:20500731

11 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

Actually, all of my employees carry the driver for these. 

So it is YOUR guys ripping off subs, eh?  ;)  I doubt the average puke carries a driver for that, but there are many other options.  Some are a real PITA to remove.  In a perfect world, you would have them through bolted a la carriage bolt style.

9 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

So it is YOUR guys ripping off subs, eh?  ;)  I doubt the average puke carries a driver for that, but there are many other options.  Some are a real PITA to remove.  In a perfect world, you would have them through bolted a la carriage bolt style.

@Eagleboy99
i am normally pretty thick skinned and don’t say much. However, this is an insult. You are showing your ignorance. Just keep banging on your keyboard. Go to any HD. These drivers are available anywhere. You can’t stop a tweeker. 

@Josh7711hope you get stuff put back together. I am so happy they didn’t get more. 

we had a series of thefts at our marina over the last few years.  my boat at the time had cheap 6" speakers from walmart, and they got stolen.  not sure  it was worth their effort, but whatevs.

more recently the thieves have a habit of slicing the boat covers to gain access.  we all know that the covers cost more than the speakers so that is frustrating. 

I have developed a habit of not leaving anything in/on the boat that I would miss if it were stolen.  I have very basic stereo equipment (no tower speakers) and all of my boards and skis come from craigslist. so if the creeps aren't damaging boats for fun,  I am usually not a target.

sorry they got to you.  just remember that if they want it, they will get it.  if the screws are too hard to get out, they will tear it out.  I'd rather them just take what they want than do more damage.

7 hours ago, kylesullens said:

more recently the thieves have a habit of slicing the boat covers to gain access.  we all know that the covers cost more than the speakers so that is frustrating. 

That would almost push you to hiding on the docks with a baseball bat. 

2 hours ago, cowwboy said:

That would almost push you to hiding on the docks with a baseball bat. 

as with all thefts and vandalism, it would be worth them doing it if you could catch them doing it.

We are very near the Oregon wildfires in the last couple weeks.  Several people were spotted trying to light fires along the road by throwing moltov cocktails or something similar.  One was attempted on our property, about 300 yards from our house.  The fire didn't go anywhere.  But I would have liked to caught them.  Not sure I would have even called the Sheriff.

11 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

i am normally pretty thick skinned and don’t say much. However, this is an insult.

Clearly, sarcasm with its attached emoji is lost on you.  No insult was intended.  Lighten up man.

• Like 3