Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22MXZ Wake performance differences after 2017 changes

JustinOSU

I am looking for a deal on a 2016 to 2017 22 MXZ.  I am coming from a 2012 MXZ which i just sold and I would like to know if the wakeboard and surf wakes are better or worse on the 2017.  I assuming that the surf wake is better as the hull changs appear to be geared towards surfing but has that hurt the wakeboarding wake?  What are the main difference you noticed between the two?

Edited by JustinOSU

I’d say the newer hull makes the wake bigger, but it has similar characteristics as the gen 1 Hull. The extra hull weight and higher freeboard is nice. I we are 98% wakeboard and 2% surf.  If you liked the gen 1, I wouldn’t hesitate with the gen 2. 

11 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

I’d say the newer hull makes the wake bigger, but it has similar characteristics as the gen 1 Hull. The extra hull weight and higher freeboard is nice. I we are 98% wakeboard and 2% surf.  If you liked the gen 1, I wouldn’t hesitate with the gen 2. 

Thanks, that is the answer I needed.

2017 and up 22mxz hull gives a superior surf wave without compromising the wake wave IMO. I liked it better than the 23LSV wave for surfing.

Sold mine 2 months ago and I miss it, but 2021 will bring a new boat. I'm bummed the 22mxz got replaced.