Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 or 2021 LSV 23

guitarcrazy

It looks like I have my 2017 LSV-23 sold.  I am in the process of picking a new boat.  Can't decide whether to order custom or take an in-stock boat from dealer.  It looks like about a $15K difference between getting a 2020 and 2021, comparably equipped.  Not sure which way to go.  Also some of the 2020s have the Raptor 450, and the 2021s will have M6.  I have had zero issues with the Raptor 410 in my 2017, but everyone is raving about the M6.  What would you do?  $15K worth it for newer motor and 1 model year newer?

I'd go 2020 in a heartbeat.  $15K could cover some lake vacations, gas/insurance for the year, a couple new surf boards and still have a big stack of money in your pocket.  The M6 direct injection will get better fuel economy but not enough to cover the spread.  

• Like 1

Just keep in mind that the 2021 23 LSV is completely re-designed from the 2020 as well. You get a lot more in the 2021 than a 2020 imo. That said, the 2020 is still an awesome boat. If you want to save the money plus any other factors, like possible lead time for a new order than you will still have an incredible boat.

If you are paying cash, yea the 2020 would be the way I would be leaning.  If you are financing (a bad word around here) the $15k may not make that much of a difference.  I would take the walk thru times 100.

1 hour ago, guitarcrazy said:

It looks like I have my 2017 LSV-23 sold.  I am in the process of picking a new boat.  Can't decide whether to order custom or take an in-stock boat from dealer.  It looks like about a $15K difference between getting a 2020 and 2021, comparably equipped.  Not sure which way to go.  Also some of the 2020s have the Raptor 450, and the 2021s will have M6.  I have had zero issues with the Raptor 410 in my 2017, but everyone is raving about the M6.  What would you do?  $15K worth it for newer motor and 1 model year newer?

My 2020 will be for sale ,it has about 54 hrs,  m6di engine. Close  for you.

If it doesn’t have the M6.... pass. 15k’s not a big deal for a purchase of this magnitude and when you sell you’ll recover most If not all. The fun of building it the way you want is worth 15. News to me the molds are different from my 2020. Anyway.... if it’s not the M6 pass. It’s a sweetheart. Cheers

3 minutes ago, Chia said:

If you are buying new, check the cost of adding a full set of seat skins to the order.

someone down the road will appreciate your foresight.

This might be the craziest option I've seen suggested on here.   I get why you may do that, but that would be waaaay down the road for an owner needing them and certainly I don't think you'll get value back on this

7 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

This might be the craziest option I've seen suggested on here.   I get why you may do that, but that would be waaaay down the road for an owner needing them and certainly I don't think you'll get value back on this

i agree. you are certainly not doing it for yourself and then you have to store them, but the guy years down the road that you will never know, will be paying more for that boat than a similar boat.

4 hours ago, Chia said:

i agree. you are certainly not doing it for yourself and then you have to store them, but the guy years down the road that you will never know, will be paying more for that boat than a similar boat.

I had some vinyl from the factory when my boat was made.  It did not age well.  Plus the newer vinyls, even in the last few years are much improved regarding colourfastness, stain-resistance etc.  I'd say it would be folly to order skins when you order a boat.  YMMV

• Like 2

Delivered my boat to the new owner yesterday so search for new boat is official.  Still wavering between buying in stock 2020 or ordering new.  $15K is significant and not sure the cosmetic changes for 2021 are worth the extra money.  We have someone lounging on the sundeck pretty much always, so the filler cushion would always be in use.  Haven't heard of any significant changes in the surf wave or wakeboard wake, so the choice is a tough one.  

Delivered my boat to the new owner yesterday so search for new boat is official.  Still wavering between buying in stock 2020 or ordering new.  $15K is significant and not sure the cosmetic changes for 2021 are worth the extra money.  We have someone lounging on the sundeck pretty much always, so the filler cushion would always be in use.  Haven't heard of any significant changes in the surf wave or wakeboard wake, so the choice is a tough one.  

I feel your pain......I'm in a similar situation but the price delta similarly equipped as I'm told isn't that big.  I've received quotes from my local dealer where the OTD price on a '20 vs a '21 are ~6k.  It would be a much more difficult decision for me if the pricing was $15k delta, but for $6k, I'm inclined to get the '21.

• Like 1

There are certain options, that you never get your money back on. Some make your boat easier to sell, but your not gonna recover the full price of them, when you sell. @IXFE is the master at this game. Pick  a great , not too out there color scheme. You can always see the odd color scheme dealer stock boats, just sitting there till the end of the season.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, surfdude said:

There are certain options, that you never get your money back on. Some make your boat easier to sell, but your not gonna recover the full price of them, when you sell. @IXFE is the master at this game. Pick  a great , not too out there color scheme. You can always see the odd color scheme dealer stock boats, just sitting there till the end of the season.

I couldn't agree more with you on this @surfdude.  

On 9/28/2020 at 9:23 PM, surfdude said:

You can always see the odd color scheme dealer stock boats, just sitting there till the end of the season.

I own that boat you are talking about. Bought a '16 in August of '16 in an area where August is just about the end of the season. Got a tremendous deal as the '17s were selling already. While it's not the Lime-Green/Purple Flake option I've seen on here from BB, I still thought it was a bit too much color for a guy like me, as everything I own is "vanilla". While I'm sure I've gotten some silent, "OMG, too much color for a guy like him" takes, I've also gotten 4 years of compliments on how bada$$ it looks. 

Still need to tint the windows which will finish it off, but it's Orange/Grey/Off-white inside, Orange/Grey-flake/Black-bottom hull

The market is so hot right now, I can't justify getting into a new one, but if I did, I'd be competing with boats that sold for $20k more than mine did originally. 

Trying to decide on options I could live without.  Any of these absolutely worth the cost?  Let me know your thoughts. 

Colors: Considering white and Tuscan Gold. 

Options:

White Malibu logo - $381

White Tower - $638

White Tower Hoop - $434

Dock Lights - $638

360 Degree Light - $893

Swim Step - $2295

Wakeview Bench - $2824 

Trying to decide on options I could live without.  Any of these absolutely worth the cost?  Let me know your thoughts. 

Colors: Considering white and Tuscan Gold. 

Options:

White Malibu logo - $381 - Depends on color placement, but guessing that panel will be Tuscan Gold, so yes.

White Tower - $638 - Absolutely with those colors.

White Tower Hoop - $434 - Also would do this - just ties everything in better.

Dock Lights - $638 - Never gotten these and won't again on my 2021.

360 Degree Light - $893 - Pass

Swim Step - $2295 - Yes, get this.

Wakeview Bench - $2824 - You'll find a few diehard fans but 90% never use this option on the 23 LSV more than a couple times.

My thoughts above (in the quoted section). You'll also have to get the white trailer to match the boat.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  We trailer once in April to the cabin, and then once in September when it comes home.  Trailer isn't much of a consideration for us, thankfully.