Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does stereo equipment affect resale?

Brandonloos21

Selling our 2017 T23 with ~515 hrs on it. 
came with SP2, but I currently have 

Hyx6 to all 6 interior speakers

sd2 to wet sounds Revo xxx 12 sub in custom box

sdx2 to 4 rev 10’s on tower

The retail on all aftermarket stereo equipment, as in sub and towers (speakers and amps alone, not including wiring, and wood) is around $6,000

I have my boat listed at $68,000, so my question is would listing it for $64,000 be doable if I removed the towers, sub, and the corresponding amps?

also, any suggestions on price, as I’m not getting many hits 

The old saying "there's a buyer for everything" applies to boat stereos along with "it's worth what someone is willing to pay."   The stereo will never be worth what you put into it.  If you have $6K into it then it might fetch an extra $3-4K for the right buyer but to someone that isn't interested in the stereo, it would seem as your boat is overpriced, compared to others.  (not trying to insinuate you're pricing is high as I don't know).  I don't know how long you've had it listed but if you're not getting hits, it could be related to the price.  I will say that while most may not care about higher level stereo equipment, they do care about having the equipment already on the boat vs. having to do it themselves.  Again, to the stereo gurus out there, a blank slate may be just what they're looking for but it would have to come at a discount.  

For pricing reference, look at onlyinboards "sold" section to get an idea of where you sit.  We're coming off this mega bubble of Covid priced boats so everything was fetching a premium but now that the season is winding down in most parts of the country, people are looking for the deal.

• Like 3

IMO- unless you are talking 10-15k worth of stereo, the upgrades are not going to move the needle for most buyer.  Is it a selling bonus of picking one boat over another with lesser stereo, sure.   I don’t think your are out of line on your pricing.  Geographical location does impact pricing but I think you are in line.  If someone offered you 65 with the stereo I would take it.  Our Dallas dealer has a 2015 T22 listed for 59k if that helps at all.  Really liked my 2017 T23 until it was destroyed in a storage fire two years ago.

Some buyers will pay more, some won't.

For me as a buyer, I have certain things I want on a boat.  If it doesn't have them but can be upgraded, I put that into my total cost of ownership.  If it has a base stereo I won't be happy with, I know what it will cost to fix that problem to the level I want it, and would pay around that money extra for the same boat with it.  Others may not feel that way.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:37 AM, Brandonloos21 said:

Selling our 2017 T23 with ~515 hrs on it. 
came with SP2, but I currently have 

Hyx6 to all 6 interior speakers

sd2 to wet sounds Revo xxx 12 sub in custom box

sdx2 to 4 rev 10’s on tower

The retail on all aftermarket stereo equipment, as in sub and towers (speakers and amps alone, not including wiring, and wood) is around $6,000

I have my boat listed at $68,000, so my question is would listing it for $64,000 be doable if I removed the towers, sub, and the corresponding amps?

also, any suggestions on price, as I’m not getting many hits 

and replace them with what?????

so a 22 -23ft boat is going to not have any tower speakers and a hole where the sub  is and missing all amps except  a great  in boats amp (with all the wires sitting in coffin not hooked up), think like the buyer, what would you think then ?? fir $68000 this isnt an a20 that are often bought with sp1 and no amp like mine bought new so i could afford to write a check

do you really want power wedge that bad? why not keep a boat you already decked out to your liking, i just dont get the trading up thing (especially when you have a 23 footer as i have big boat envy), i took a stripped bought new a20 and improved it, probably my boat for life

You could always list it for the lower price and state in the ad that for $6k the upgrades can come with it.

I was approached by a few people I know about selling my boat this summer. Mine is an 02 but I have some equipment that would not go with it for the ball park of what my boat should be priced.
I have PTM clamping racks and most people looking at 02's go into sticker shock at the $3k-4k price of those racks. Like you I have a large stereo but understand most don't desire a water cooled golf cart battery level system. 
I told the potential buyers what the costs of some of the upgrades are and I could sell at market price as a stock boat or there was a as it sits price also. 

At the end of the day me and the wife decided to keep ours till it gets passed down to our boys as we have got it built into our desired boat.