Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Boat Purchase

DustanFWTX

Hello! Fist time poster looking for advise from the community. I am looking to purchase my first boat in the next few weeks. I grew up on boats skiing and wakeboarding, but I have not owed my own. It has been close to 15 years since my last boat trip, but I really want to pass on the joys of boating to my 5 kiddos. Any how, I found a 1995 Sunsetter that looks great, and seems to be priced right. I have messaged back and forth with the owners, and they purchased the boat from a dealer last year and don't use it like they thought they would. I am going to look at it this weekend, but I am a little nervous purchasing a boat that is 25 years old, but it is what I can afford. Is there anything I should look out for specifically. I have included the add on facebook. Thank you guys in advance, and I am looking forward to talking with you all. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/736207810568261

Edited by DustanFWTX
grammer

Looks like a nice boat from the photo.  Read this thread, some of the tips will apply.   The age of the boat is fine, what matters is how well she was cared for and why the short term owners don't like the boat?  Ask questions and post photos.

8 minutes ago, DustanFWTX said:

Thank you sir. I appreciate the advice, and I will check out the above mentioned threads. There is also a 2002 wakesetter I am looking at for about 3k more and about 80 fewer engine hours. 
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/237561550981331

More important than the age, would be he condition and the options.  The 2002 would have fuel injection, while the 95 might or might not.  Fuel injection is not maintenance free, but has advantages.  The condition of the trailers would be important as well.

2 hours ago, barefootpaul said:

That 95 looks really nice from what we can see. Also seems priced well, especially considering recent prices.

Thats what I was thinking. I actually got them down to 10k. I am going to look at it Sunday. 

Looks to be in good shape, I'd jump on that if it's been well maintained.  I still love my old 'Bu, gets used a lot and runs like champ.  If properly cared for these boats last forever.

8 hours ago, Bozboat said:

More important than the age, would be he condition and the options.  The 2002 would have fuel injection, while the 95 might or might not.  Fuel injection is not maintenance free, but has advantages.  The condition of the trailers would be important as well.

'02, especially a direct drive, could be a carb in that vintage.  

Thank you for all the feed back guys. I went and looked at it yesterday, and I really liked it. The trailer isn't in the best of shape but other wise, it looked really nice.