Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 Moomba MAX VS 2021 A24

Flienlow

So... I have been looking into the '21 A24. A Dealer tells me its miles ahead of Moomba/Supra in surf performance. I am not married to Moomba or Supra even though they have been my last 3 boats. 

We use our Current Max a lot and feel justified at 250hr in the need to trade in for a newer boat. 

I am not saying I am right here, but I am feeling a bit frustrated lately in the SC Brand. 

I bought a 2015 Surf Edition LSV.  Long story short, I could not wait to get rid of it. It was anything but a Surf Edition boat.

We then bought the max.

I then had to buy a new prop, upgraded ballast bags (and have dealt with a continuous SH!T show of disconnecting bags, flooded bilges and engine divider panel blow outs.) I had a prop shaft strut and ballast control module break, My Starter is now not working,and just last night she threw a code and doesn't run well at all. My Gray GatorStep is 50 times worse than carpet to clean and keep clean. I will never get a Metallic paint job on a boat again. The upgraded Stereo needed to be upgraded as well as the sub. Everytime I work on the boat I cut the living Sh!T out of my hands because none of the fiberglass has been sanded.  And then there is Autowake...yeah...whatever. We get horrible fuel economy out the Max while surfing at 4200rpm, and I am wondering if a Switch to GM platform would be welcome?

And after all this...I get a pretty good wave, but.... It has been extremely difficult to A. figure out and B. gain consistency with it. One day its good they next day its not despite crew.

Now, I am not trying to go all Karen/Debbie Downer on ya, I am just explaining the things that I am taking into consideration. I can easily keep the Max, buy a New Max or something else.   I have never been on an A24. Just wondering what my expectations should be? similar to the Budget boat Max, or would it be a step up?

THE budget line surf king , A24 but traditional T23 is also slick plus more cabin space config

disconnecting bags are from large bsgs with inappropriately configured ballast hose lengths and routing snd whether a 90 or straight quick connect should be used on a particular port with its appropriately routed and cut ballast line,  short hoses for drains at bottom rear of locker sacs with straight quick connects are notorious  for that, so anyone or any dealer can do it wrong on any brand

i do not like the height of the  Max step down to swim platform from stern  

i only surfed a Max one time with a brand new Max owner with s not dialed wave but a big crew and the regular wave was unimpressive

A24 with basic pnp and some extra nose weight (or not) with or without wedge is great, with adjustable power wedge its insane , shape of an axis surfwave is just awesome, lift mode for heavy riding wake boarders is also very nice 

i did like the 2017 moomba mojo pro wave stock ballast plus 300 lead and 5 passengers!

Axis pro Johnny Steig surfs no wedge on his A24 

Edited by granddaddy55

Lots to break down from your post. 

The A24 is one of the best surf/wakeboard boats on the market. Yes, it lacks some of the flashy features. But at the end of the day it’s a work horse.

Prop - Do your research ahead of time. Malibu does a lot of testing and provides 3 excellent options out of the gate that you can chose from depending on your crew size, amount of weight you will be running and what elevation you will be operating. 

They also have their recommendations of what bags you need out of the box. You can add lead to fine tune after you get time behind the boat. 

I was very happy with the stereo in my 2015 T22. My only gripe with the subwoofer, that’s the one component I changed in mine and the one thing I’ve heard they could really improve upon. 

I sold my T22 in the first part of August, I ordered it new in 2015 and put over 500 hours on it. I changed the oil. Fixed one blown speaker in the bow. And dumped gas in it like water. Had COUNTLESS memories with our family and it never left us stranded one time. It was the most reliable boat out of our crew. Due to that, we are leaning towards ordering a new A22. 

My few recommendations to you if you are going to order a new A24. Upgrade to the M6. It’s a big boat, you will want the power. Plan on a sub upgrade right away. It’ll be fine for a while but if you are a stereo guy at all the factory system will leave you wanting more in this category. 

• Like 2

Good to know, thanks. I am also interested in the wrist control for the boat. The local Dealer is getting one this weekend and I will hopefully go for the demo. As far as lead is concerned, I dont run it. My lift is a 6000lbs and the Max is putting it at the top of capacity range as it is. The Axis at 5500+ dry is going to over gross it so i need to consider that too. 

A24 is a much bigger boat than the moomba max. 22'6" vs 24'5"

The A24 WITH PNP and pw3 will throw a great surfwave out of the box, but YOU NEED TO GET PNP.

The wrist control is actually really nice, we use it all the time. 

The moomba has options for a small and large lcd, you wont get that on the axis. Just a plain tiny little menu screen, all buttons are physical on the axis.

Every new boat will have its issues, and your dealer is really where the brand will shine. 

Axis m5 and m6 engines have some impeller issues going on, but the solution is coming in the pipelines so im not sure that is a deal breaker. Id take the chevy block over a ford anyday but thats just me. 

There are quite a few posts on this on TMC (and varying opinions) but if you go A24, spend the extra $$ if you can and go with the M6. Especially if you are going to load it up (which you are). It's a BIG boat.

Edited by formerathlete

Former- I completely forgot you have an Axis. ( perhaps you should have brought it out more?;) ) I want to check out the one Darren is getting , and hopefully it will work out for us. However ,I really don't want to buy a new boat and new boat lift. ugh...

• Like 1

I have a 25 lsv with the M6 engine and it is awesome. We never lack power and the wave is always good. The 2nd generation 25 lsv throws one of the industries best waves and it is always consistent. I believe the A24 will be as good in performance and nearly as good in wave quality. A24 all the way!

Yeah didn’t make it up your way much this summer and never with the boat.

I’d say the 2021 A24 will definitely push that lift past it’s limit, unfortunately. Dry weight and full 76gal tank of gas alone is gonna be just shy of 6k and that doesn’t include whatever isn’t included in their “dry weight“ number (tower?) and any gear, etc you have on board. Would still love to chat more with you offline about this tho...

Edited by formerathlete
3 hours ago, formerathlete said:

Yeah didn’t make it up your way much this summer and never with the boat.

I’d say the 2021 A24 will definitely push that lift past it’s limit, unfortunately. Dry weight and full 76gal tank of gas alone is gonna be just shy of 6k and that doesn’t include whatever isn’t included in their “dry weight“ number (tower?) and any gear, etc you have on board. Would still love to chat more with you offline about this tho...

I just talked to my Lift guy. He told me not to do it. Not sure I want a new boat and a New Lift. In fact, I know I dont. so... how is the a22?

15 hours ago, Flienlow said:

I just talked to my Lift guy. He told me not to do it. Not sure I want a new boat and a New Lift. In fact, I know I dont. so... how is the a22?

Good call. We put a 8,000lb lift in for our 2021 A24. I think you would run into a problem with insurance claim if something happened to your boat on a lift that was rated too low. 

• 4 weeks later...

so I have a 2 year old hydro hoist 6600lb lift. do you guys think the a24 would be too much for it? anyone added another tank to their lift and have an idea of cost on it? looks like I would have room in the center between the two tanks i have now.

1 hour ago, smuurph84 said:

so I have a 2 year old hydro hoist 6600lb lift. do you guys think the a24 would be too much for it? anyone added another tank to their lift and have an idea of cost on it? looks like I would have room in the center between the two tanks i have now.

I don't think you'll have an issue with your hydro hoist 6600. I don't know how much the a24 weighs, but I have the same lift and it has no problem getting my 2020 25 lsv (w/ 600# lead, full fuel, etc) out of the water. There's not a lot of tank showing above the water but I have zero concerns with that set up and it's not like a cable type lift where you have to worry about cables snapping. 

On 10/19/2020 at 11:18 AM, smuurph84 said:

Again it’s a 5500lb boat with out 76 gallons of fuel. I don’t know if the tower is calculated into the dry weight, but I would hope so. So you are at 6000lbs without any gear or people added. I don’t doubt the all lifts are over engineered, meaning they will hold more than they are rated for.  
My argument against, is that if your boat gets damaged while on your lift, insurance may give you a hard time if you are up against or over the weight limit. Just food for thought. 

2 hours ago, Dsalyers said:

Again it’s a 5500lb boat with out 76 gallons of fuel. I don’t know if the tower is calculated into the dry weight, but I would hope so. So you are at 6000lbs without any gear or people added. I don’t doubt the all lifts are over engineered, meaning they will hold more than they are rated for.  
My argument against, is that if your boat gets damaged while on your lift, insurance may give you a hard time if you are up against or over the weight limit. Just food for thought. 

Just curious, is your background on lifts based on cable or floating types?

We have a 2018 A24. Thing is a beast. We have over 350 hours on it. Got it March of 2018. No serious issues. We had a ballast fuse blow. I fixed it on the water and we had a great day. We have SP2 and it is good for us. It won't win any coves but we don't do that anyways. Obviously they redesigned the hull and everything since 2018 so I can only imagine how much better it is than our boat.

I ride behind my buddies 2020 A22 alot and his boat is a beast as well. He has the SP3 and the thing thumps. He also has PW3 and surf pipe. I believe he has the M5. He did not have bow PNP for the first few months and that thing rode WAYYYY bow high. You defnitely need all PNP in the boat. Then you have the simplicity of filling everything and surfing. If we have more than 4 people in the boat then we don't use the wedge. That method applies in his A22 or our A24. 

I've never been in a Moomba so I can not compare the two. Go demo both the A24 and A22 and see which one ticks yours boxes.