Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rev 10 boomy?

Jdubb16

Just purchased a 2018 23 LSV.  Boat came with a pair of Rev 10’s on the tower.  My last boat had one pair of Rev 10’s that @MLA installed and tuned with a WS amp.  While the new boat is loader, it is boomier to the point where it does not sound as good as it could.  Some people have mentioned to turn it down since it does not sound clean.  

is this do to the Malibu amps tuning( which I have read I can’t change)?  Is the best solution a new tower amp that is tuned correctly and sell the amp that is in the boat.

any other options?

thanks

The factory amp in a 2018 would have been a PC tuned DSP amp with no consumer level tuning settings. 

I would start with the head unit settings. If there is an EQ, even simple bass, mid and treble settings, make sure the bass is not cranked and the others not turned down. 

Might want to consider an equalizer. It can be thrown in down by the amps pretty easy if you don't feel like mounting near the dash. That way you can tune tower, boat and sub speakers separately and weight the volume between them.

11 minutes ago, Logi said:

Might want to consider an equalizer. It can be thrown in down by the amps pretty easy if you don't feel like mounting near the dash. That way you can tune tower, boat and sub speakers separately and weight the volume between them.

Don't think that will work with DSP amps.

There's not much you can do but turn the bass down in the EQ, but this will turn down the bass in everything.  The Amps are tuned on the low end so Malibu doesn't have to warranty anything.  

On a side note.  I just purchased a 17 with stock setup with 4 rev 8's on the tower, and it sounds decent for stock, but it's pretty bad because I know what it could sound like.  

In my last boat I've had many different iteration's of systems from rev 8's to 4 and then 6 rev 10's. I know what a good system can sound like, this winter I'm switching out the amps so I can tune everything to reach their true potential. 

When I sold my last boat it had 1 pair of rev 10's and the same sub and amp that's on my 17, except it was the older WS amp that could be tuned.  It sounded 1000 times better then what comes stock from Malibu.