Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Powell Houseboat


Recommended Posts

Getting a houseboat for the first time and heading to Powell in October and wondering the best way to tie our two surf boats up to it when we are anchored onshore.  My thought is to just get some nice hull huggers with some fenders and tie a boat to each side.  Maybe I'm wrong about that but we are trying to get a bunch of surf sessions in and really just want to untie the boats quickly, surf and then dock them back quickly for beer and bbq.  

I'll be the first to admit that I am pretty awful with anchors and honestly don't want to mess with them if we don't have to, looking for maximum time on the water. 

I did read something about the generator exhaust coming out the back or something so maybe we have to watch out for that?

48ft navigator houseboat rental, 07 LSV and an 04 Tige. 

Thanks in advance. 

Link to post

I visit Powell a minimum of 3 times per year.  My recommendation is purchase several (3 per boat)  of the hoppity hop kids toys on Amazon for about $15 or so each - probably either the 18 or 20" size, and use a few docklines to hold them to the rail on the house boat.  Works better than traditional fenders and since they don't say "boat" or "marine" on them - they are cost effective.  Then just tie off to the back sides of the houseboat.

 

https://www.amazon.com/WALIKI-Hippity-Hopping-Kangaroo-Included/dp/B00P2VPI1S/ref=sr_1_26?crid=2Z7PDPIZWLTMI&dchild=1&keywords=hippity+hop+balls+for+kids&qid=1600873279&sprefix=hoppity+h%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-26

Link to post

I agree with @DonT.  regular bumpers aren't going to be sufficient if you have a storm.  Or it seems some idiot will inevitably come surfing 50 feet away from your houseboat.  

I prefer to anchor my boat with a rope that travels from the shore to the houseboat.  Close enough to hop on the swimstep, but far enough that it doesn't hit the houseboat.  

Link to post

Just did a HB last weekend and tied to it.  Only word of caution is HB rental company suggested tying only to starboard side as they said they had concern a boat on port side could  trap some CO fumes.  Probably very little risk especially if you are keeping HB windows closed but tying two boats up made me think of this.   

583AC2CD-CCCC-45CB-935C-CAAEB6A3D747.png

Edited by hethj7
Link to post
4 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Just did a HB last weekend and tied to it.  Only word of caution is HB rental company suggested tying only to starboard side as they said they had concern a boat on port side could  trap some CO fumes.  Probably very little risk especially if you are keeping HB windows closed but tying two boats up made me think of this.   

583AC2CD-CCCC-45CB-935C-CAAEB6A3D747.png

Co fumes from the bu or from the generator?  Nice rig btw. Oh, did you just use bumpers or what?

Link to post
8 hours ago, DonT said:

I visit Powell a minimum of 3 times per year.  My recommendation is purchase several (3 per boat)  of the hoppity hop kids toys on Amazon for about $15 or so each - probably either the 18 or 20" size, and use a few docklines to hold them to the rail on the house boat.  Works better than traditional fenders and since they don't say "boat" or "marine" on them - they are cost effective.  Then just tie off to the back sides of the houseboat.

 

https://www.amazon.com/WALIKI-Hippity-Hopping-Kangaroo-Included/dp/B00P2VPI1S/ref=sr_1_26?crid=2Z7PDPIZWLTMI&dchild=1&keywords=hippity+hop+balls+for+kids&qid=1600873279&sprefix=hoppity+h%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-26

Freaking genius, I'm assuming you can fill them up with a tube pump?

Link to post

From the generator.  I thought it exhausted up high but that is what they said.  :dontknow:

 

And yes, I used the hippity hop type bumpers.  I have also heard the companies will give you plywood to slide down the HB in between so that your boat can’t bounce up over a fender or under the HB.  The lake I was on wasn’t rough so I wasn’t concerned about that.  

Link to post

Babz or let’s tie up balls would be my go to. I haven’t used a normal bumper since I’ve had my babz, soft on the gel coat and offer a crazy amount of protection.

Link to post

Glad I saw this post, taking my boat to Powell for the first time in October as well.  Just bought some hoppity hop balls to tie the boat to the houseboat (thanks for the tip DonT), which I am sure will help me sleep a whole lot better (plus, the bourbon).  Any other pro tips would be appreciated as well.

I have been there before with someone else's boat (much less stressful), and totally agree with the seclusion comment.  Try to find yourself a beach that is as far from the main channel and other boaters as you can get.  Best vacation I have ever taken - getting out of cell range and away from the whole of humanity.  Good luck, weather is supposed to be good but water is going to be cold for AZ boys!

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 10:20 PM, RyanB said:

I thought the Navigator used a air cooled generator mounted on the back deck?  If that is the case, it wouldn’t matter which side you tied off to. 
 

Either way, I’d ask what marina you’re going from and how far from the marina are you planning on taking the boat?

If you’re staying close to the marina, you need to be cautious of both surf and cruiser wakes. The further you go from the marina the better. Even in October. 
 

Best advice is to find somewhere that you can get some seclusion. If you have open water behind you, you will get both boat and storm waves (although wind isn’t usually bad in October). 
 

This is our normal spot for most summers. Really not any wakes to be concerned about if you can find something like this. 

B3793C89-E6F5-4B58-B851-7CE7B85FFCCF.jpeg

Awesome man, really appreciate the advice.  We are going to stick close to the marina, maybe a few miles tops, familiar with Halls Creek Bay so probably just post up there.  I have a few spots in mind to get away from the waves, little mini coves like your pic. I'll look into the generator, hopefully that is the case. 

Link to post

Might be a completely ridiculous question but does anyone have a spreadsheet or something for the must have items for houseboating? 

Link to post
1 hour ago, erikj said:

Might be a completely ridiculous question but does anyone have a spreadsheet or something for the must have items for houseboating? 

Here is a cut and paste of a letter that my wife sends out every time we go to the lake.

Items to bring to make your trip more enjoyable: 

Ivory soap (it floats) or body wash for your lake bath, old pair of tennis shoes, sandals,  2 pairs of sunglasses, sunscreen, hair ties (if applicable), hats, camera, books, flashlight or head lamp, sheets, towel, pillow, fishing gear.

 

I will be bringing the following for everyone’s use. Our space is quite limited on the houseboat and do not need duplicates. Besides, whatever goes on the boat has to come off when we leave.

Ziploc bags, dish soap, al. foil, Olive Oil, sharp knife, salt, pepper, spices,

Cleaning supplies, Trash bags, black marker 

Bottle opener

Coolers- large, boat, small

Games, Air pump, Bat, ball, cards, floats

Hedge clippers for Tamarisk bushes, extension cords, 

Generator

Ship to Shore Radio 

Tubes, slalom ski, double skis, sky ski, knee board, wake board, surf boards, life vests 

clothes pins

First aid kit, hydrogen peroxide, Bug Spray, Advil, Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, Imodium, Benadryl, eye wash

Toilet paper, paper towels, spatulas, can opener, oven mitts, SOS pads, dish towels, rags, scrub brush 

 

Items Amber and Ryan bring personally: 

Towel- boat towel, shower towel and wash cloth, sheets, pillow, Hats, sandals, tennis shoes, bathing suits, shorts, tops, underwear, PJs, Hair ties, Sunglasses (2), sunscreen toothbrush, paste, shaving cream, razor etc, Camera, Flashlight, headlight, Fishing Pole, tackle boxes

Link to post
16 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Here is a cut and paste of a letter that my wife sends out every time we go to the lake.

Items to bring to make your trip more enjoyable: 

Ivory soap (it floats) or body wash for your lake bath, old pair of tennis shoes, sandals,  2 pairs of sunglasses, sunscreen, hair ties (if applicable), hats, camera, books, flashlight or head lamp, sheets, towel, pillow, fishing gear.

 

I will be bringing the following for everyone’s use. Our space is quite limited on the houseboat and do not need duplicates. Besides, whatever goes on the boat has to come off when we leave.

Ziploc bags, dish soap, al. foil, Olive Oil, sharp knife, salt, pepper, spices,

Cleaning supplies, Trash bags, black marker 

Bottle opener

Coolers- large, boat, small

Games, Air pump, Bat, ball, cards, floats

Hedge clippers for Tamarisk bushes, extension cords, 

Generator

Ship to Shore Radio 

Tubes, slalom ski, double skis, sky ski, knee board, wake board, surf boards, life vests 

clothes pins

First aid kit, hydrogen peroxide, Bug Spray, Advil, Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, Imodium, Benadryl, eye wash

Toilet paper, paper towels, spatulas, can opener, oven mitts, SOS pads, dish towels, rags, scrub brush 

 

Items Amber and Ryan bring personally: 

Towel- boat towel, shower towel and wash cloth, sheets, pillow, Hats, sandals, tennis shoes, bathing suits, shorts, tops, underwear, PJs, Hair ties, Sunglasses (2), sunscreen toothbrush, paste, shaving cream, razor etc, Camera, Flashlight, headlight, Fishing Pole, tackle boxes

Yes! thanks for the info, that is super helpful!  Pepto is a must! 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...