Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suggestions to keep boat warm overnight

Bman1

8 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

What are the temps?  day/night.  It has to go a fair bit below freezing to  even worry about the heater; the block is fine.  If it is run during the day, engine heat soak will keep it warm enough through the night.  The lowest I recorded on mine with no issues is -9C.

Ah, then I'm good.   It hasn't crossed below 0C yet ( +10 to +15C day time down to +1 to +3C at night) and by the time it does start to get below -3C or so, it'll be out and winterized by then.    Wasn't sure how much wiggle room around freezing time I had while sitting in the water.   First year with the boat.

On 9/23/2020 at 2:13 PM, Cole2001 said:

Is it this time of year already??:cry:

Getting close - maybe.  Temps have been schitzo here lately.  Lows near freezing last week and then yesterday it was 80.  Welcome to fall.

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, holden said:

Lots of discussion on the engine block but don’t forget the ballast systems! They are very susceptible to freezing!

in fact, I think they’d freeze before the block.

Why would a parked boat have water in the ballast tanks?

48 minutes ago, Joeprunc said:

Not sure how cold, but I throw these in my boat all winter.  Gun rod under the motor, and heater/fan on the floor.  In the winter we see lows in the 20s.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--air-dryer-with-fan-dehumidifier-120v-ac--7867518?recordNum=1

and 

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/goldenrod-dehumidifier-rod

I wonder how well those things would work where there is real winter??  Especially by the lake.  I know the neighbour  left his boat by the water (no heat/dehum) and it was a mess in the spring.  I would be worried about a power failure.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I wonder how well those things would work where there is real winter??  Especially by the lake.  I know the neighbour  left his boat by the water (no heat/dehum) and it was a mess in the spring.  I would be worried about a power failure.

Depends, there are a lot of different variables....my boat sees the sun when its out, my boat is also on a hoist where the water temp never drops below 40F.  And even if we get down to 20 at night, it will warm up to 50 during the day.  Cracked blocks and other such really seem to occur when the water sits in freezing temps for extended days.  

If our weather stayed in the 30s (day and night) or below for more than two days I would not rely on these, I would drain engine and pour RV antifreeze in the hoses through the thermostat.  

6 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Why would a parked boat have water in the ballast tanks?

It is very hard to get all the water out a ballast system even if you drain it until nothing comes out. Water collects in bottom of bags, lines, pumps, etc. Replaced my subfloor bags this year and even after completely draining there had to be 50lbs of water in each bag. 

1 minute ago, Cole2001 said:

It is very hard to get all the water out a ballast system even if you drain it until nothing comes out. Water collects in bottom of bags, lines, pumps, etc. Replaced my subfloor bags this year and even after completely draining there had to be 50lbs of water in each bag. 

Guess it is good to have tanks.  Mine are pretty close to bone dry as long as I pump them out while plowing nose up so all the water hits the outlet.  Any small amount left in there has plenty of room to expand.  I don't do anything to winterize the tanks/pumps.

On 9/23/2020 at 11:16 AM, kylesullens said:

AGREE that people should learn to maintain their own boat!  And learn how to change the impeller.  At some point, you will burn up an impeller.   It can either be a 20 minute delay in your weekend, or it can be the end of your weekend.  

I hear the excuse "I don't have time".  But you have time to haul the boat to the dealer, then time to go back and get it (twice, if you have the boat "un-winterized").  I bet you can pull the plugs and blow the hoses out in the same amount of time you stand at the dealer's counter waiting to hand over money.

I wish there was an easy way to learn how to change an impeller. Mine shredded this summer due to the manufacturer defect (the boat only had 30 hours). I had the old one out in 10 minutes. I spent 4 hours attempting to get the new one in. Result... 3 different men with hands covered in blood, lots of curse words and several new scars. Drove to a local boat dealer and offered someone $100 to just push it in.. they were covered in blood but got it in after about 30 minutes of yelling screaming and cursing. All in all it took us 6 hours to change.

Edited by gorenation