Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Check Engine at 1000 - 1500 rpm

fireworkperson

Hi,

I have a 2006 Malibu 23 LSV with the 383 Hammerhead (just about 300 hours). Just recently the check engine alarm comes on when the engine hits about 1000 - 1500 rpm. There are no other symptoms. I read the code using diacom and the following error comes up:

SPN 65701 FMI 31General Warning 1 Not Available

I've searched the diagnostic manual and it seems the code is triggered by low voltage from a sensor. I checked all the sensors that I can think of and the voltages are within 4.8 - 5.2 V. All the fluids have been replaces as well as spark plugs, the fuel filter, and the air filter.

I'll explain what happens:

Boat is at rest, throttle up and the alarm sounds at (usually) 1200 rpm or so. Silence the alarm by hitting the "E" button. Alarm will come back after the ~5 minute timer or so. The engine doesn't go into limp mode or anything. Absolutely no other noticeable changes occur. The coolant temp and oil pressure remain in normal ranges. The alarm does not ever come on if the engine remains below ~1200 rpm.

Any input or experience would be of great value. Thanks in advance!

Edited by fireworkperson
add details
5 hours ago, fireworkperson said:

Hi,

I have a 2006 Malibu 23 LSV with the 383 Hammerhead (just about 300 hours). Just recently the check engine alarm comes on when the engine hits about 1000 - 1500 rpm. There are no other symptoms. I read the code using diacom and the following error comes up:

SPN 65701 FMI 31General Warning 1 Not Available

I've searched the diagnostic manual and it seems the code is triggered by low voltage from a sensor. I checked all the sensors that I can think of and the voltages are within 4.8 - 5.2 V. All the fluids have been replaces as well as spark plugs, the fuel filter, and the air filter.

I'll explain what happens:

Boat is at rest, throttle up and the alarm sounds at (usually) 1200 rpm or so. Silence the alarm by hitting the "E" button. Alarm will come back after the ~5 minute timer or so. The engine doesn't go into limp mode or anything. Absolutely no other noticeable changes occur. The coolant temp and oil pressure remain in normal ranges. The alarm does not ever come on if the engine remains below ~1200 rpm.

Any input or experience would be of great value. Thanks in advance!

From Larry at Indmar:

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your suggestions and help. I have two knock sensors on the drain plugs for the engine. I checked both connections, which were secure, but the knock sensors were corroded/oxidized and the knock sensor mounts were also extremely oxidized and corroded in spots. Perhaps it's having an effect.

Unfortunately, after cleaning out the air filter (which was doused in engine oil), I'm having trouble starting the engine, so it's going to be a bit longer before I can further diagnose the check engine.

Thanks again for your help and I'll check back in once it gets fixed so that this post can hopefully help someone else in the future!