Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer tire pressure/temp monitoring

MalibuBas

I hope this is the correct topic folder. I have been looking for a pressure/temp sensor for the trailer tires (2020 trailer). In the RV forums and on Amazon, there are many remote sensors available, but it is not clear if most of these are OK to be submersed while getting the boat in and out of the water. We usually drive ~ 100 miles to/from the lakes and the added monitoring give an additional sense of security. Looking for other owners' experience and suggestions.

@Moderator, please move this if this the incorrect folder. 

Thanks, Bas

Should be in trailer/towing forum.  But TPMS sensors are inside the tire - doesn't matter if they are submerged.

Honestly I wouldn't bother.  We survived for many years without TPMS sensors on cars/trucks.  Check your tires before you leave and move on with your day.

Edited by oldjeep

If you spend time on the RV forums, you’d think that TPMS are absolutely necessary. I do agree that they would be nice to have. If you tow often enough, you will end up with tread separation at some point. 

Ive lost count of how many times it has happened to me. I will day that if you check the tires regularly, run at proper inflation, and never run tires that are over 5 years old your chance of problems goes down dramatically. 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with changing out the tires at five years.  Trailer tires have different stresses because they pivot rather than turn.

Look closely at the steel belts sticking out of the sidewall in photo 2200. Also see how the tread  is deformed in photo 2199.

These are seven years old. but had not been on the road for over a year at this time. 

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

Edited by Rack