Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dodge pickup

footndale

I have had 2  4x4 and 4x2. In the market for a pickup again. Have a few 2500 diesels around me but excessive for my needs. Have my eye on a 2011 1500 in nice shape. No visible rust. :)

@oldjeep, I know you love them. Any years to stay away from?  Year range for me will probably be 2004-2012. Is there a year when the bed rust started being less?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, footndale said:

I have had 2  4x4 and 4x2. In the market for a pickup again. Have a few 2500 diesels around me but excessive for my needs. Have my eye on a 2011 1500 in nice shape. No visible rust. :)

@oldjeep, I know you love them. Any years to stay away from?  Year range for me will probably be 2004-2012. Is there a year when the bed rust started being less?

Thanks

If you want a 1500 get a 2009 or newer.  2009 was the first year of the 4th gen 1500's (2010 is the first year for the 2500/3500)

Only issues I ever had with the truck in 175K miles were exhaust stud breakage - there was a recall and TSB's for that.  And the trans lines were replaced twice due to a leak where the hardline gets crimped to the soft line.  Other than that just basic maint stuff.

Mine had some rust starting on the pinch welds all along the bottom of the truck when I sold it in 2018 - a lot of that has to do with my truck sitting outside 24x7 and getting washed maybe twice a year.  Never had any bed rust other than some surface stuff where I had scratched off the paint from hauling stuff.  My 2009 was an SLT 2wd short bed, my 2018 is a BigHorn 4wd long(er) bed.   The only thing I liked better about the equipment on the 2009 was the single side exit exhaust, the "dual" exhaust on the 2018 is a pain when hooking up a trailer with the motor running since it is firing right at you.

IMAG0236a.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

Thanks for the info, 2009 and greater it is. My last one was a 99 and sold it 2017. Changed tranny early but that was it. Thought I could go with out a truck for a while. Trailer and small suv is ok, but not to haul real stuff and a boat next year.

4 hours ago, footndale said:

Thanks for the info, 2009 and greater it is. My last one was a 99 and sold it 2017. Changed tranny early but that was it. Thought I could go with out a truck for a while. Trailer and small suv is ok, but not to haul real stuff and a boat next year.

Don't buy a used truck in WI that has aftermarket fender flares. Just saying... It's a used car dealerships go-to for covering rust on fender lips. Or take an extended test drive and pull them off on your own (if they won't) to inspect underneath. Look underneath at frame bends and rocker panels too. Much newer trucks than you may think are having issues. From all brands.

• Like 2

Aftermarket fenders are ugly too. :)  There is one truck that is for sale at a salvage yard. Rebuilt salvage, and I trust them. They said no frame damage just bumper and lights. Will have to really check it out. People might be surprised what gets totaled now days from insurance. It really doesn't take a lot. 

I have fixed 2 person totaled vehicles. The latest is my 2008 Subaru. Deer ran into me, front corner and dented doors and took of mirror. For about $300, it will look almost untouched when I'm done. 

I have a 2010 Ram 1500 that I bought used in 2013. The only repair it's needed was a coil pack a couple of years ago. It has 150k on it and runs great. I'd love a new Ram truck but the prices are too high. Besides, this one is paid off.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Kojak said:

I have a 2010 Ram 1500 that I bought used in 2013. The only repair it's needed was a coil pack a couple of years ago. It has 150k on it and runs great. I'd love a new Ram truck but the prices are too high. Besides, this one is paid off.

I guess it depends on the equipment level and the dealer.  But in 2009 I paid 33K for my 2009 Ram, in 2018 I paid 36K.   Now MSRP is a lot higher than that, but at the big dealers you are getting an automatic 30% discount off MSRP.  (my 2018 had a 50K sticker)