Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001-2003 vs. 2004 LSV/VLX

rakr

4 hours ago, rakr said:

So if the engines were swapped, the bell housing/damper plate would still be the 04 flavor!?!? I don’t know enough to know whether it would have stayed or went. Seller said it was a winterization issue, so I’m guessing it was a block swap. 

It could be either way - depends on what they did.  Would make more sense if they just reused the '04 stuff and is likely the case unless they sourced a used motor that had the bellhousing and damper plate with it.

FYI, the '05 damper plate AND bellhousing are faulty.  Both must be replaced.

4 hours ago, rakr said:

So if the engines were swapped, the bell housing/damper plate would still be the 04 flavor!?!? I don’t know enough to know whether it would have stayed or went. Seller said it was a winterization issue, so I’m guessing it was a block swap. 

Original owner?

Can't hurt to ask.  Could also ask for the engine serial and email Larry at Indmar to look it up and see if it's an affected unit, assuming it's one of their engines.  If it's a GM marine long block, you're probably in the clear with an '04.  How many hours?  If they're gonna blow, they usually do in the first few hundred hours.  The fact it was swapped in '05 and hasn't grenaded yet is a good sign.

Second owner. Motor replaced at 40 hours and the boat has 300 on it now. 

I asked for paperwork on the swap, and he didn’t have anything. I also asked for a serial, and he didn’t have that offhand either. I’ll push for the serial. 

@UWSkier any chance you can DM me Larry’s email address? 

I’m assuming it’s tough to identify the “bad” bell housing... and you just need to open everything up and take a look at the damper plate. 

anyone have a ballpark on having a dealer do the swap? 

thanks! 

From talking with my dealer they said as long as there is no abnormal vibrations or noise the damper plate should be fine. 

When I purchased my 05 his year there was a hole in my bell housing and I immediately thought I got screwed. Talked with the dealer who serviced the boat and he said it had been replaced and the bell housing was off another boat. The previous owners were a friend of the shop and trying to save them money with the new bell housing

1 hour ago, 06malibu said:

From talking with my dealer they said as long as there is no abnormal vibrations or noise the damper plate should be fine. 

Yeah...you are fine until it's not.  These things can hundreds of hours before failure and typically show no signs until they fail or immediately before.  

4 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Yeah...you are fine until it's not.  These things can hundreds of hours before failure and typically show no signs until they fail or immediately before.  

Ive read/seen some pretty gnarly aftermath of them exploding 

Yeah, I read a post on here that mentioned something about a "blast blanket" used in drag cars... does not instill confidence, and I may swap it regardless of what Indmar comes back with. it would be worth the day of work and $500 to know a hot saw blade won't come careening through the middle seat...