Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ZF REPLACEMENT SHIFTER - E-CONTROL 2008 WS 247

You're kidding right? Better control? Less sensitive? The ZF shifter is one of the best throttles made. Why on earth would you want a less sensitive throttle? It's the best experience of the 2008-2014? boats IMO. I know those kits are a plug and play replacement for the ZF shifters if your button breaks and you can't get a replacement. Some dealers have some replacement buttons available but they aren't made anymore. Active wake produces an aftermarket button as well now. I would imagine the new throttles should be equally sensitive as they are drive by wire like the ZF is. 

36 minutes ago, dcwilson said:

You're kidding right? Better control? Less sensitive? The ZF shifter is one of the best throttles made. Why on earth would you want a less sensitive throttle? It's the best experience of the 2008-2014? boats IMO. I know those kits are a plug and play replacement for the ZF shifters if your button breaks and you can't get a replacement. Some dealers have some replacement buttons available but they aren't made anymore. Active wake produces an aftermarket button as well now. I would imagine the new throttles should be equally sensitive as they are drive by wire like the ZF is. 

I agree.. i'd go back to my 08 ZF shifter in a HEATBEAT if I could.  I loved the control that thing had, flick of the wrist throttle control.

1 hour ago, dcwilson said:

Those shifters were garbage, I cant count how many we replaced that went bad, and Im not talking about the button popping out.

I can confirm on my 2010 LSV I am not a fan of that shifter.  I have had to "rebuild" it a half dozen times and it is still sticky sometimes trying to go into reverse.  If you don't get it quite right putting it back together the friction is really light and a hard wave can move the throttle down.  That said, I will continue to take it apart and adjust it vs. spending $900 for a new shifter.

22 hours ago, COOP said:

Those shifters were garbage, I cant count how many we replaced that went bad, and Im not talking about the button popping out.

Really? That's crazy. I feel like the batches of those shifters after 08/09 we're not nearly as good because that's when the button issue started happening. My 08 is flawless and my friends 08 is nearing 2000hrs and its never had a hiccup, ever, original button and all.  

20 hours ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

I can confirm on my 2010 LSV I am not a fan of that shifter.  I have had to "rebuild" it a half dozen times and it is still sticky sometimes trying to go into reverse.  If you don't get it quite right putting it back together the friction is really light and a hard wave can move the throttle down.  That said, I will continue to take it apart and adjust it vs. spending $900 for a new shifter.

That doesn't sound right. My ZF is fairly stiff, or any one I've ever felt, definitely would never move from a hard wave like the old school cable throttles could. If I had that many problems with mine I'd consider updating haha. 

@WGjames I've got one that need to be sent to Livorsi to have the board replaced and calibrated. As others above have said, mine did go bad. I'd be more than happy to make you a deal on it that would be waay less than a new one. let me know.

Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Haven't there been a ton of Livorsi replacements too?

Yes, I wouldnt say a ton,  but not for PPS problems. The new Livorsi shifters have had an issue where they wont go into neutral. But everything else work fine.

The old ZF pedal position sensor would crap out and you would be left with nothing but idle speed. 

Edited by COOP
1 minute ago, COOP said:

Yes, I wouldnt say a ton,  but not for PPS problems. The new Livorsi shifters have had an issue where they wont go into neutral. But everything else work fine.

The old ZF pedal position sensor would crap out and you would be left with nothing but idle speed. 

Ah.  I guess it is a good thing I have 2 spares ;)   Havn't needed one yet.

I thought there was another Livorsi issue that has been reported here frequently - a diode that fries out

Sorry maybe I'm confused.  I have the stock 08 shifter. I get 3mph at first off neutral detent then I need to hold it by hand if I want 5mph than after that it is incredible loose and sensitive.  I was curious if the one I listed solved any of that.  Thanks for the replies btw 

32 minutes ago, WGjames said:

Sorry maybe I'm confused.  I have the stock 08 shifter. I get 3mph at first off neutral detent then I need to hold it by hand if I want 5mph than after that it is incredible loose and sensitive.  I was curious if the one I listed solved any of that.  Thanks for the replies btw 

If your throttle is loose then there is something wrong with it.  I have the same throttle in my 2012 and it holds in any position.

I believe there is a friction adjustment on the bottom of the unit,  but would need to look at my spare to be sure.

• 3 months later...

Hey thanks sorry for the lag in reply.  I will look.  The detent right at about 4mph and 5mph is what is more annoying.  Seems like it should just be linear not detent.

• 1 year later...

I was out on the water yesterday, breaking in the freshly rebuilt 383 hammerhead. First hour on the water was uneventful felt like I had done a good job breaking it in. Then it started throwing these PPS fault codes 65613 and 65605, wouldn't go over 30 mph/4,000 RPM just start cutting out. Then eventually would left me with nothing but idle speed. ZF shifter control???