Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for Wakesurf rack for Illusion X Tower

NClakelife

Hello,

New to Malibu and this great site.  I have just purchased my first Malibu, 2004 Wakesetter VLX. Previous owner just left her out to bake, been putting a lot of sweat equity into her.

I've just updated most of the Piranha 800 pumps and ballast connections - there were plenty of leaks.   With that being said, we are ready to try surfing for the first time.  Unfortunately, the racks are terrible. 

Does anyone have a WakeSurf rack for sale or suggestions what to purchase?

Tower:  Ilusion X 

2004 Wakesetter VLX

Huge Thanks,

Paul

Depending on the size of board they will fit a regular wake board rack, generally skim style boards.

You could look into bags that mount on the bimini as an option. I have recently purchased a ronix bimini bag that goes on the bimini and holds 4 boards. I have not got to test it yet (saturday I will) but so far I think it will work well.

6 minutes ago, 06malibu said:

Depending on the size of board they will fit a regular wake board rack, generally skim style boards.

You could look into bags that mount on the bimini as an option. I have recently purchased a ronix bimini bag that goes on the bimini and holds 4 boards. I have not got to test it yet (saturday I will) but so far I think it will work well.

Great idea, I have not seen this option before.  Thanks for the information.

They cost around $200 IIRC but if it works for you its cheaper than a new rack. What I like about the bag is it doubles as a transport bag. I have had boards get banged up laying in the boat.

Depending on which racks you have the manufacturer may make "surf style" racks

I finally replaced my original racks with racks from Bulletlines.  One surf/surf rack and a wake/surf/wake rack both with the swivel add on.  Overall satisfied with what I got.  The old wake racks could fit the thinner surfboards but it was super tight.  You could also get a bungee web tie down for the bimini and throw them up there, we just don't use our bimini often enough for that option.  

I'll have to check out the racks @ Bulletlines.  The current racks are old and def not user friendly, they need to be replaced.  In the interim, the bungee tie down might work until we rack the boat for the winter.  Looks like there a plenty of options on Amazon.  Since we are new to all this, we only have 1 board at this time.

Huge Thanks for the suggestion.   

Checkout reborn tower racks as well. My folks just got a set for their boat and are a cheaper alternative to Samson swivel racks. I have 2 sets of these and they are awesome. Different forks available as well

Hello!  

Sorry to piggyback on here, couldn't find a better thread and didn't want to post brand new since this seemed to fit what I need as well.  Just got my first Malibu, an '08 VLX.  Unfortunately for me one of the OEM wakeboard rack brackets broke during Labor day when the waters got real choppy.  I'm not having any luck finding any OEM racks for my year, of course.  Wondering if anyone has had, or has thought to have, someone machine out a new bracket for their racks?  We have a couple of CNC Machine places here in Denver and was thinking of reaching out to them, taking the bracket up there to see if they could machine another one close so I can still use that wakeboard rack.  

Still functions perfectly other than where the aluminum (??) broke.  This boat has never had any other rack on it and I worry with purchasing a new rack the wear on the tower won't be completely covered by the new rack, so then I'll be tempted to correct that issue just because I'm nit picky like that.   

So, any suggestions on maybe where I could find an old rack to replace my broken one?  Or if anyone has replaced their old racks with new ones, any suggestions on ones that fit nearly identical to the old ones?  OR, last but not least, has anyone thought to go down the CNC machine route? 

Thanks for your time in advance!  

Edited by wridtrvlr
spelling

Thanks guys!  Samson sports seems to be the best bet, unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment.  Of course.  :)  Great customer service though, I inquired about their racks and the expect to have some back in stock in the next few weeks.