Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

300H heater core substitute?

Kevin 89MC

I have searched high and low for an alternate to the Heatercraft replacement core for the 300H heater, the long rectangular 3 hose one. There is a lot written about the 200 series, with the cheap replacement for that available at Napa and other places. That one is more square, where the 300 series core is 16" X 6" X 2". I got the boat cheap, been fixing a lot of things on it, now is the time for the heater to work so the wife and kids will still want to come in the boat! I took it to a local radiator shop, they repaired a half dozen areas but kept finding leaks, so the core is shot. Guessing previous owner didn't winterize it right. Same with the shower, need a new pump for that, easy to find those. So anyways, if someone knows of a replacement core for the 300H that would be great. I will pay the high price from Heatercraft if needed, but only if there are no other alternatives. I checked MC Teamtalk and a bunch of other websites, no one seems to have figured this one out. Or I somehow missed it! I'll post over there as well.

Thanks,
Kevin

'99 Response LX

Same experience as above, a cost effective solution is to make a blocker plate and procure the smaller core.  Heat output seems about the same, it't really all about water temp and  didn't really notice the smaller core being less effective.  I did not record actual temperature output.

On 9/16/2020 at 7:51 PM, Kevin 89MC said:

I have searched high and low for an alternate to the Heatercraft replacement core for the 300H heater, the long rectangular 3 hose one. There is a lot written about the 200 series, with the cheap replacement for that available at Napa and other places. That one is more square, where the 300 series core is 16" X 6" X 2". I got the boat cheap, been fixing a lot of things on it, now is the time for the heater to work so the wife and kids will still want to come in the boat! I took it to a local radiator shop, they repaired a half dozen areas but kept finding leaks, so the core is shot. Guessing previous owner didn't winterize it right. Same with the shower, need a new pump for that, easy to find those. So anyways, if someone knows of a replacement core for the 300H that would be great. I will pay the high price from Heatercraft if needed, but only if there are no other alternatives. I checked MC Teamtalk and a bunch of other websites, no one seems to have figured this one out. Or I somehow missed it! I'll post over there as well.

Thanks,
Kevin

'99 Response LX

put in the heatercraft y pipe ($53) on fresh intake line before the johnson pump and re route heater return to it (heat at idle you currently do not have without it) OR more simply install the cheap amazon knock off ($10 vs 149) to heatercraft water pump on return side of core wired to your heat switch and now you have heat at motor off

the wife WILL be disappointed at no heat at idle and give you a hard time about the money spent and she will commend you for heat at idle and think a lot of you if she gets heat at motor off

ypipe and pump make heat hotter (much better than the “warm” heater) with engine at speed as well 

not sure of shower config but the cheap amazon could work for that as well

if you have a sub wall , relocate the euro vent (if thats your config) under dash to bottom of sub wall to heat your feet and the carpet or gatorstep, my wife loves the warm gatorstep 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 3 weeks later...

I in the process of replacing my 2001 VLX heater, and found these 2 options

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/70610/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/70602/10002/-1

the (H) and (W) are no problem - but the depth is - the Heatersraft is 6.75" (deep), the 1st JEGS/610 is 7.85" (deep) and the 2nd JEGS/602 is 8.25" (deep).  I believe I can mange 1" bigger, but 2" bigger the unit will have to relocate lower - RE: clearance to the foot-pedestal.     Im still extracting the existing unit, and may open it up to extract the heater core and see if a local radiator shop can rebuild it.

any thoughts?

@Eagleboy99  It was suggested by a hotrod buddy, and a friend that restores old boats said he put these in many old boats in NH that the owner wanted heat   

Im not sure what "marine rated" means for a heater core?