Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Piggy back ballast

surf6250

Hi I have a 2018 Axis T22.  I have it configured with 865lbs bags in the stern locker, 400lbs bag in the bow, 300lbs of lead in the bow and forward locker, but i still need about 200 more pounds.  The extra 200lbs drops the nose and lower the RPM by about 300. Im trying to put a 250lbs bag in the forward locker.  I want to piggy back it off the port stern 865lbs bag.  I was hoping to take the top venting plug out of the 865 and replace it with a 90 elbow and attach a hose to fill/ drain the 250 bag in the forward locker.  Then I was hoping it would gravity drain back in the 865 after they were empty.  I might have to add a valve to the fill/drain line on the 250 and open it after 865 are empty.  Then pump it out with the pumps in the hard tanks.  I'm not a fluid dynamic engineer.  Just a guy think outside the box trying make a better wake. Has anyone had any luck piggy backing like this.  Thanks Scott

26 minutes ago, surf6250 said:

Hi I have a 2018 Axis T22.  I have it configured with 865lbs bags in the stern locker, 400lbs bag in the bow, 300lbs of lead in the bow and forward locker, but i still need about 200 more pounds.  The extra 200lbs drops the nose and lower the RPM by about 300. Im trying to put a 250lbs bag in the forward locker.  I want to piggy back it off the port stern 865lbs bag.  I was hoping to take the top venting plug out of the 865 and replace it with a 90 elbow and attach a hose to fill/ drain the 250 bag in the forward locker.  Then I was hoping it would gravity drain back in the 865 after they were empty.  I might have to add a valve to the fill/drain line on the 250 and open it after 865 are empty.  Then pump it out with the pumps in the hard tanks.  I'm not a fluid dynamic engineer.  Just a guy think outside the box trying make a better wake. Has anyone had any luck piggy backing like this.  Thanks Scott

That is how piggy backing works in general. I am unsure of how your boat ballast set up is. You want to fill bottom first then top and drain from bottom bag with top bag draining to bottom.

So, Vent from tank to fill on bag, then vent from bag to where vent from tank use to vent out of hull (thru hull fitting). between vent on bag and thru hull, add a one way valve... 

Enjoy :)