Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Forward gear and reverse gear no longer go in

Hi, 

i have a 2014 23 lsv wakesetter. Since our last vacation we have the problem, that sometimes the forward gear and also the reverse gear won´t go in. You can put the throttle in any position, but the boat stays in neutral. (the engine speed increases)

Does anybody has an idea what the problem could be? 

I am thankfull for any anwser. 

PS.: sorry for my bad english. :help:

Best regards 

Leander Rucker from Germany 

sounds like your high idle control is engaged, on my 14 indmar axis , guessing different than yours maybe the same , silver button on throttle panel upfront of arm  at bottom.  you pull it out to disengage forward reverse and only have throttle up in forward or reverse position

but others will say its maybe transmission solenoids? or transmission shift lever is disengaged 

Edited by granddaddy55
15 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

sounds like your high idle control is engaged, on my 14 indmar axis , guessing different than yours maybe the same , silver button on throttle panel upfront of arm  at bottom.  you pull it out to disengage forward reverse and only have throttle up in forward or reverse position

but others will say its maybe transmission solenoids? or transmission shift lever is disengaged 

Thanks, 

the button to disengage forward and reverse is not "on". When you press the button the blue LED is on. 

in our case the LED is not on, the button was not pressed but the boat stays in "neutral". 

We have already checked the transmission solenoids. They seem to work. 

we thought that maybe the gear lever is not working properly. Our dealer said then there should apear an engine fault on the maliview. (?) 

If you can disconnect the shift cable at the transmission then move the shift lever w your hand you will be able to see if the problem is the transmission or the cable.  You will need someone at the helm to drive.

• Like 1

You may have a problem with the dampner drive plate that connects the engine flywheel to the transmission input shaft.  That could prevent the boat from shifting into forward or reverse.  You can do a preliminary check by removing the starter and use a small scope camera or mirror to look for cracks in the plate or broken springs.

On 9/18/2020 at 2:15 AM, Harry B said:

If you can disconnect the shift cable at the transmission then move the shift lever w your hand you will be able to see if the problem is the transmission or the cable.  You will need someone at the helm to drive.

What cable at the transmission do you mean. 

Our 2014 model has an electronic shift lever. The shift lever sends signals to 2 actuators which move a wave via magnets. So either the forward or the reverse gear is engaged. 

I think the older models have a shift lever with an bowden cable? 

On 9/20/2020 at 9:43 PM, csleaver said:

You may have a problem with the dampner drive plate that connects the engine flywheel to the transmission input shaft.  That could prevent the boat from shifting into forward or reverse.  You can do a preliminary check by removing the starter and use a small scope camera or mirror to look for cracks in the plate or broken springs.

Hm. I will check this. 

Thank you!

23 hours ago, Lakemurrayskier said:

Sounds like you may be dealing with what I had that cost me a new Livorsi throttle assembly.    See thread below:

Yeah, it may be the same problem. We already thought about a broken throttle. 

Have you solved the problem with your new livorsi throttle?

Yes - I first tried to swap out the solenoids for both forward and reverse.  That did not work so I knew it was something in the throttle assembly.  Looks like since I swapped mine out that someone has figured out how to save $1,200 on a new Livorsi throttle and swap out the bad diode that causes it to stop working.  If mine goes out again, I'll probably take mine to someone who is a pro at soldering  and try to replace that Diode before I drop another $1200 on a new throttle. 

@Lakemurrayskier and @LeanderI have a "spare" throttle that I would let go for you to use for troubleshooting. Full disclosure, I would need to send it to Livorsi for service first. PM me if you would like to entertain this, it will be waaay less than the cost of a new throttle from the dealership, and Livorsi may be able to service your throttle.

Also FWIIW, you are experiencing the same issue I was before I replaced my throttle.

let me know!!!

Edited by rakr
16 hours ago, Lakemurrayskier said:

Yes - I first tried to swap out the solenoids for both forward and reverse.  That did not work so I knew it was something in the throttle assembly.  Looks like since I swapped mine out that someone has figured out how to save $1,200 on a new Livorsi throttle and swap out the bad diode that causes it to stop working.  If mine goes out again, I'll probably take mine to someone who is a pro at soldering  and try to replace that Diode before I drop another $1200 on a new throttle. 

Yes I already read this. 

I think I will bring the throttle to someone to check it. Cheapest way first!

But I´m not sure if this will fix the problem. You had the problem that the boat is in gear an then the gear pops out (?). My Problem is that the boat sometimes does not go into gear. But we will see :)

16 hours ago, rakr said:

@Lakemurrayskier and @LeanderI have a "spare" throttle that I would let go for you to use for troubleshooting. Full disclosure, I would need to send it to Livorsi for service first. PM me if you would like to entertain this, it will be waaay less than the cost of a new throttle from the dealership, and Livorsi may be able to service your throttle.

Also FWIIW, you are experiencing the same issue I was before I replaced my throttle.

let me know!!!

@rakr I´m from Germany. So I think the shipping could be very expensive :)  At first I will check my throttle.  But thank you for the offer!!

Mine started by popping out of gear, but it also acted very confused as to not knowing if it was in gear.  so many times i could not start the boat b/c it would think it was already in gear. Other times i would put it in gear and it would act like it was still in neutral, but rev up.   Acted very similar to your 1st description that started the thread.  Good luck my friend.

36 minutes ago, Lakemurrayskier said:

Mine started by popping out of gear, but it also acted very confused as to not knowing if it was in gear.  so many times i could not start the boat b/c it would think it was already in gear. Other times i would put it in gear and it would act like it was still in neutral, but rev up.   Acted very similar to your 1st description that started the thread.  Good luck my friend.

Okey got it :D 
Hope my friend can solve the problem by changing the diode xD

• 1 year later...

My problem is that the boat will not go into neutral.  When placed in the neutral position it remains in forward or reverse gear - whichever it was in.  It starts fine in the neutral position, but will go forward or back up immediately upon starting.  I disassembled the throttle and everything appears fine mechanically.  All three switches "click".  There is a black plastic "L shaped" ring with a notch in it that turns with the handle.  The notch fits over a tab and it is separated at that point so it's not a complete circle.  I don't know if it's broken or is supposed to be like that.  Anyway it appears to turn with the mechanism properly.  This is a 2009 VLX.  No cable.  Thanks