Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 VLX vs 2007 VLX

gvb

I currently have a 98 VLX that is used only for surfing:

- 750lb bags in the rear + 100lbs lead on each side (all the way in the back)
- 400lb bag behind driver seat, and 250lb bag on port side under seats+150 in lead.(so 400 on each side).
- 250lb ski locker sac + 50lb lead sitting on top of door.
- 425 bow sac under bow seats + 200lbs lead.
- Mission delta wakeshaper.

Obviously this thing is MAXED out... surf wake is better than most brand new $150k+ boats with factory ballast, but its time to upgrade to something newer with a little more displacement (and in my price range).  Looking at a 2007 VLX with the 4 stock ballast tanks.

For those with the 2004-2008 VLX that are heavily weighted for surfing... what are your setups?  Will I be able to get a similar setup to my current VLX with a bow sac in addition to the factory bow ballast?  Is there any way to add hidden weight to the ski locker area and/or under the seats on both sides behind driver like I have now?  Obviously the ski locker is easy with plug/play.

Appreciate any help here!

'04 is still the SV23 hull in the VLX, didn't change until '05.

I wouldn't say you are maxed out - I run more weight - all hidden - than that.  I will also say the wave is not as good as most of the stock waves of today's boats.

I would avoid any '05 due to the damper plate /bell housing issue unless you have receipts proving both were updated.  Maybe if it had the LS1 (rare) as that would be the only motor that may use a different part.

'05 - '08 VLX (and the later 21 Vride) will make a better wave.  There will be no ski locker as there is a tank there.  You can hide lead in a similar fashion as well.

41 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

'04 is still the SV23 hull in the VLX, didn't change until '05.

I wouldn't say you are maxed out - I run more weight - all hidden - than that.  I will also say the wave is not as good as most of the stock waves of today's boats.

I would avoid any '05 due to the damper plate /bell housing issue unless you have receipts proving both were updated.  Maybe if it had the LS1 (rare) as that would be the only motor that may use a different part.

'05 - '08 VLX (and the later 21 Vride) will make a better wave.  There will be no ski locker as there is a tank there.  You can hide lead in a similar fashion as well.

Ah, got it... 2005-2008 is what I meant :)

Can you tell me what your setup is if you have more weight and all hidden?

Avoiding the 2005 for sure.. thanks for the info!

41 minutes ago, gvb said:

Can you tell me what your setup is if you have more weight and all hidden?

- 1100's in each locker, they don't fully fill but get pretty tight.  Call it 900lbs each locker; they are so filled you can't fit anything in there at all except maybe a coiled up rope.
- Sack under the port seat, approx 300lbs. 
- Center locker bag (~500lbs) - I have a really long bag that fills the locker really well
- Under seat bow bag (~300lbs).  Again, filled until the seats start to rise and use every inch available.
- 100lbs lead stuffed in the nose, another 200 under the bow filler
- 200lbs lead at the back of the boat as needed; mine are stuffed 100 each side next to the hull behind the interior
- Floating Wedge
- Cheap suck gate

Edited by Nitrousbird