Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help-What options are a deal breaker?

Joneschaos

Looking to buy a used 22-23 ft Malibu boat.  What options are your deal breakers? Engine? Tower? Hours? Year? Age? Surf gate? Color? Etc trying to understand what really matters from those of you who know... 

looking at 22-23LSVs or 22axis, or 22mxz 

What is your elevation?  If greater than 4000 feet, then certain engines are a no-go.  

Hours are never a deal breaker for me, it is more important how the boat has been cared for.  It still might be reflected in a lower price, but never a deal breaker.  

Colors are only a dealbreaker if you plan on selling the boat yourself some time soon.  I am a minority, but a black boat is not something I will do again, I just don't spend enough time to keep it looking great.  Although a clean black boat is a beautiful thing.   My buddy has a 'rasta' boat, it is red metal flake, green metal flake, yellow and black.  The color has grown on me, but he has alienated about 90% of potential buyers.  They do make wraps for this sort of thing.  

What is your budget?  We can help you spend it for sure.  

Personally, I would only consider "classic" colors.  White, black, blue, maybe red.  

The next boat I buy will be supercharged (I live at elevation).

Not sure how old you are looking, but I wouldn't buy anything pre-surfgate.  The screens on the 2015 + boats are a BIG improvement.

Perfect input just what I’m looking for. Thank you!

We are normally at 1000ft but do like a few higher lakes around 4000ft. I thought just a prop change is required?

looking around the 2015-2018 years without totally breaking the bank

8 minutes ago, Joneschaos said:

We are normally at 1000ft but do like a few higher lakes around 4000ft. I thought just a prop change is required?

You could always go with axis to save money! (Ps I have one for sale). You could go newer with longer warranty for roughly the same price, some aren’t huge axis fans though 

15 hours ago, Joneschaos said:

You would likely be good with just prop change, and might not even need that.  

@RyanB is sometimes at 6 or 8K if I remember correctly, so supercharger for him would be put to good use.  

4 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

You would likely be good with just prop change, and might not even need that.  

@RyanB is sometimes at 6 or 8K if I remember correctly, so supercharger for him would be put to good use.  

The lowest elevation I have ever run the boat is 3600'.  I've had it above 10,000.  Naturally aspirated engines don't like that elevation.

At 4000' I wouldn't think twice (although I still would like go with whatever is at least equivalent to my LS3).