Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gelcoat protection & wax

ADKMalibu

Looking for everyone's favorite polish/wax to use.  I have a 2002 Sunscape 23LSV.  I have been using Meguiars 3 Step Marine which works well, but takes a lot of elbow grease to rub out the oxidation in step one, then polish and a few coats of wax.  With all that, it looks great but still doesn't last as long as I'd like.  The boat sits in a lift baking in the sun (when we get some) so I know that isn't good but that's what I got.  

I have seen online adds for Top Coat F11 spray on polish.  Looks easy, but does it last?  Does it protect, or just look good that day?  

https://topcoat.store/?convert_action=convert_vpreview&convert_v=1002790664&convert_e=100235807&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIot_9_MTm6wIVQeKzCh3K1A-dEAAYASAAEgKcg_D_BwE

Welcome any thoughts and suggestions.  Thanks!

Meguiars m67 and orange pad to remove light oxidation (yellow for moderate-heavy) and hard water spots. Finish off with collinite 845. I use babes spray wax and water spot remover as needed. Wipe down after every use.

I use collinite 845 on all my vehicles  I love it, great on windows too  

DAA0F3EC-8BE5-4918-A7B1-56A5EDF00F6B.jpeg

Edited by 06malibu

I avoid polishes with a boat as old as ours.  Currently use Turtle wax but would like to find something better.  Boat is in Schroon Lake all summer.  Where are you?

I tried the Collinite 925 (Liquid marine wax) and it seems to work almost as well as the paste version - 885.  I just didn't like how much the liquid stuff (925) separated just sitting around.

I should also mention that I use the 920 cleaner before waxing.

Edited by oldjeep
3 hours ago, electricjohn said:

I avoid polishes with a boat as old as ours.  Currently use Turtle wax but would like to find something better.  Boat is in Schroon Lake all summer.  Where are you?

I am in Cranberry Lake, the west side of the park.  I came from Saratoga Springs so almost through your neck of the woods.  

7 hours ago, 06malibu said:

Meguiars m67 and orange pad to remove light oxidation (yellow for moderate-heavy) and hard water spots. Finish off with collinite 845. I use babes spray wax and water spot remover as needed. Wipe down after every use.

I use collinite 845 on all my vehicles  I love it, great on windows too  

DAA0F3EC-8BE5-4918-A7B1-56A5EDF00F6B.jpeg

That looks great.  I guess I've banged into the dock a few too many times! I had never heard of Collinite muchless realize there are several variations of their product.  Thanks for the tip.

Edited by ADKMalibu
9 minutes ago, ADKMalibu said:

That looks great.  I guess I've banged into the dock a few too many times! I had never heard of Collinite muchless realise there are several variations of their product.  Thanks for the tip.

I don't know if there is actually much difference between their marine and auto wax.  Just don't use the 920 cleaner on a car unless you want to scratch the crap out of it ;)

4 hours ago, electricjohn said:

I think I posted in the wrong response.  I'm in Cranberry Lake electricjohn.  Northwest corner of the park.  

I like the Collinite products.  I've used them with great success.  However, I've since started using Menzerna and Jescar products with great success.  There's a long thread on here that @ibelonginprisonhas contributed heavily too.  What he's suggested has been my go to over the last couple of years.  I've been impressed by the products and the results.  I've gotten away from wax and have been using a sealant.  When we get our new boat, I'm considering a ceramic coating, but not sure if I'll do it or not yet.  The results I've had with the menzerna / jescar recipe have been solid and it's less expensive considering I do both of our boats every year.  I'm not sure what to expect out of a ceramic coating after a year in hard water.

4 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I like the Collinite products.  I've used them with great success.  However, I've since started using Menzerna and Jescar products with great success.  There's a long thread on here that @ibelonginprisonhas contributed heavily too.  What he's suggested has been my go to over the last couple of years.  I've been impressed by the products and the results.  I've gotten away from wax and have been using a sealant.  When we get our new boat, I'm considering a ceramic coating, but not sure if I'll do it or not yet.  The results I've had with the menzerna / jescar recipe have been solid and it's less expensive considering I do both of our boats every year.  I'm not sure what to expect out of a ceramic coating after a year in hard water.

Thanks.  I meant to ask in my original post about seat/upholstery cleaners.  Mine used to look great for an old boat until I've had it in the shop so much the last few seasons.  I guess no one throws a tarp over anything.  My rear sun deck/engine cover is kind of a mess now.  Wasn't sure what to use on it.  

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

I'm not sure what to expect out of a ceramic coating after a year in hard water.

I'd go ceramic right now, except I know I like to use the buffer on the boat if I get any even small scuffs or rub marks, but then you need to reprep and reapply the ceramic once you drop a mechanical buffer on it.  If I am having to reprep and reapply more than once a year I feel like I might as well stick with Collinite.  

• 2 months later...

The best boat cleaner for water spots and general cleaning probably lives in your kitchen cabinet. White vinegar. Mix with water at a 40-50 percent ( vinegar) rate. Spray on your boat everywhere and wipe off as you go. You'll be very happy how the shine pops. Been doing this for years and my 10 year old boat shines like new. I use Lucas slick mist 4-5 times a season. Can do entire boat in 20 minutes or less. I have a 2010VTX.

20 minutes ago, Cretedude said:

The best boat cleaner for water spots and general cleaning probably lives in your kitchen cabinet. White vinegar. Mix with water at a 40-50 percent ( vinegar) rate. Spray on your boat everywhere and wipe off as you go. You'll be very happy how the shine pops. Been doing this for years and my 10 year old boat shines like new. I use Lucas slick mist 4-5 times a season. Can do entire boat in 20 minutes or less. I have a 2010VTX.

I always wondered if vinegar was the secret ingredient in “hot sauce” it certainly smells it, and stings when it ends up in my eyes...

I have used just about every spray on and they are all seem to work good in my experience.  I think people who knock spray on wax are people who think it’s just “spray on and walk away”.  You have to go a little at a time, and rub  it in in small circular motions like Mr miagi taught us, buff it off with clean dry terry cloth or buffer.  Spray on rinse off stuff will not work.

Edited by PNWoke