Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 m240 1300lbs heavier?

KotoJackson

3 hours ago, KotoJackson said:

Is the 2021 m240 really 1300 lbs heavier than the 2020 model?

If so does anyone know where the extra weight came from?

Are you getting this from published specs? If so.. maybe Malibu finally decided to actually weigh a finished boat 😁

Edited by gregtay
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, gregtay said:

Are you getting this from published specs? If so.. maybe Malibu finally decided to actually weigh a finished boat 😁

Yes that is what I was basing it on. That makes more sense, because the body and everything looks exactly the same. Thanks for the clarification

And it is also surprising how much all the usual items you take boating weigh.  The weight used to not include the tower, which is a few hundred right off the bat.  I am not sure if they include that.  A full tank of fuel is at least 300 pounds more, depending on the size of the tank (534 pounds of fuel in a 25 LSV).  Anchor, coolers, residual ballast water, all add up to a lot more than the stated weight when it comes down to real life usage.  Power wedge is an option, so that is probably not counted, etc...

I am with @gregtay, it seems not too unusual for numbers to change when there has been no significant change to the hull.  Almost always the number goes up.  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

And it is also surprising how much all the usual items you take boating weigh.  The weight used to not include the tower, which is a few hundred right off the bat.  I am not sure if they include that.  A full tank of fuel is at least 300 pounds more, depending on the size of the tank (534 pounds of fuel in a 25 LSV).  Anchor, coolers, residual ballast water, all add up to a lot more than the stated weight when it comes down to real life usage.  Power wedge is an option, so that is probably not counted, etc...

I am with @gregtay, it seems not too unusual for numbers to change when there has been no significant change to the hull.  Almost always the number goes up.  

That makes sense. I bet they didnt include the tower in the weight and all the standard upgrades that come with it. The main reason I was asking is I was trying to run numbers on the best way to weight one out for port side/regular surfing and if the new M220 would fair better off the bat because it is listed as the same weight as the 2020 m240 but with more ballast with pnp bags

Hello all,

I asked a few Bu' dealers about about any differnces between a 20 and a 21 M240 and was told there are no changes other than color options. I agree with Gregtay, the weight of the 20 M240 was never clear; 7,000, 7,200, 6,500, etc. I think Bu' is perhaps just making it clear what this boat weighs. My understanding is the 20 and 21 M240's both weigh 7,200 Lbs - motor fluids yes, gas or any gear no. 

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Koto,

I am in intermediate (I am being too kind to myself) surfer so I have no plans to add lead. As a matter of fact, I have found running 75% ballast in the bow, 50% ballast in the belly and 50% in both stern ballast tanks with the wedge set at 3, surf right (goofy foot) and about 11.5 Mph. creates a nice, long wave with plenty of push. Of course setting will vary by boater but my point is I am going to have grow into this boat – which is cool.

Chris

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi Koto,

I am in intermediate (I am being too kind to myself) surfer so I have no plans to add lead. As a matter of fact, I have found running 75% ballast in the bow, 50% ballast in the belly and 50% in both stern ballast tanks with the wedge set at 3, surf right (goofy foot) and about 11.5 Mph. creates a nice, long wave with plenty of push. Of course setting will vary by boater but my point is I am going to have grow into this boat – which is cool.

Chris

I wish I surfed goofy, the Malibu/Axis boats throw an awesome strb side wave due to the direction the prop spins. Port side is still great but need a little more weight distribution to get a slight tilt. Ill post back after this coming weekend once we mess around with it.

9 hours ago, Stevo said:

Start surfing on your backside edge.

I took the approach of getting up on my backside edge and getting some turns in with the rope and then transfer to the port side before dropping the rope, do this every time you get up and you will progress enough to start dropping the rope on your backside edge and get to enjoy that goofy side wave

Ill definitely try this, will help a lot with the tail end of the 360 too. Thanks man

Also my dealer did confirm the weight is 7200 lbs on the 2020 m240 just in case anyone else was wondering

18 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

So on a triple, wet, that would be...  10,000 lbs?

Koto,

Yes, all loaded up about 10,000 lbs. - dry boat is 7,200, trailer is 1,800 and fluids \ gear 1000 so yea, 10,000 all in.

Chris