Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 A22 Stereo

mk2driver

I am really debating what to do about the stereo in the boat we are about to order. Currently the build sheet has it slated with SP3. I am debating scraping it all and doing a fully aftermarket system. OR possibly doing parts of the SP3 and have a custom sub box built and add the sub aftermarket. Also swapping out the headunit that it comes with. 

What have people been doing. NO I don't care about the transfer beep. 

On 9/12/2020 at 6:18 PM, mk2driver said:

I am really debating what to do about the stereo in the boat we are about to order. Currently the build sheet has it slated with SP3. I am debating scraping it all and doing a fully aftermarket system. OR possibly doing parts of the SP3 and have a custom sub box built and add the sub aftermarket. Also swapping out the headunit that it comes with. 

What have people been doing. NO I don't care about the transfer beep. 

totally separate from all dash wiring is awesome to create a system with no noise, if that HU space i see in the configurator  is wide enough for a less than single din height and width, put a WS 420BT or SQ where HU goes whether you have other brand components snd speakers or not.  420 BT still need phone to control, with the SQ put in same dash space above the less than single din height  EQ a WS BT Rocker switch transceiver that completely controls all functions phone with convenient push buttons (power on off plus remote power out to turn on EQ and amps, auto connect last phone, pause/play, track rev/adv, phone volume plus/minus)

the EQ knob zone adjustability on the fly is so nice, i dont think those command centers and presets or digital adjust menus compare,  you get a knob for volume, in boat, towers , and sub zones and if teaching from captains or front of boat i figured how to get good performance from the EQ  tower microphone ( cant be playing in boats or sub because they create mic input distorting voice) 

Edited by granddaddy55

I absolutely love my MC1.  The gray trim piece that the factory stereo mounts to can be trimmed to fit the MC1 so that it doesn't look out of place.  HERE  is the post i made about my install.  I also built my own sub box.  Its a ported box and the results were night and day.

IMO for the amount of money we spend on building/buying these boats, i feel the stereo system overall seems to leave alot to be desired.  If i were purchasing a new boat, i would heavily consider getting only whats needed to wire the boat...then build the sound system myself. 

The big things i HATED about the factory stereo.

1.  BAD hiss at lower levels (NOT RCA/power wire related....it was in the Black Box)
  2. (not an issue for you, but...) volume BUTTON....no knob, and the buttons themselves require a forceful press.  sounds insignificant, but it quickly gets annoying.  Pus, the volume button was a single push per volume tick (couldn't hold the button down to continue to adjust).
  3. when powered on, it always defaulted to Satellite Radio.  I had to change the input every time.
  4. zone controls were not user friendly.  The zones were not gain control that stay "programmed". A zone would reset and directly track with main volume once the main volume was lowered to the point that a zone hits level 0.  Hard to explain, but VERY obvious/annoying once you try adjusting the zone levels.
Edited by Texan32