Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

take it-or leave it

bretcole

Hi. This question hits close to home for me. I live in Madera County, CA. and the Creek Fire is about 20 miles or so from my ranch. I have not seen the sky for a week and ash falls from the sky like a light snow. In my case, I would leave the boat. Two reasons: 1) I would focus on getting irreplaceable items out, pictures, etc., and 2) I would focus on getting my 2 horses out safe. My boat is (heavily) insured so it would likely stay behind unless I had more time. 

Chris

Pretending I lived in an area where this was even a remote possibility, I would take the boat.  But not to save it as much as to be able to haul more things.  I would fill it and my truck with as much as possible and it would basically service as additional storage.

That said, nothing I ever need to think about.  Trees in a 5 mile radius could all combust at the exact same time and my house would be undamaged other than some falling ash.  

We actually had to consider this for real a few years back.  A quonset up on the hill behind us exploded - drug lab (marijuana and hash oil mostly) and it started the hillside on fire.  Funny what the kids thought was valuable to take with us... LOL  But the boat was anchored offshore so we were going to take it as well (trailer was in the shop at the time so loading it up was no issue if it came to that).  Well the Rap Attack crew came in with helis full of fire retardant and water so we never had to leave.  It was quite the sight  - there must have been a hundred boats offshore watching the festivities; I could have made a fortune selling beer by the can!  ;)

we had to evacuate from the fire in the McKenzie / Calaopooia are in Oregon.  we had the RV hooked up and loaded.

I moved the boat, equipment, vintage rigs, and some other non-essentials earlier in the week. 

so the answer is: if you have notice and can get the boat out of harm's way ahead of time, do it.  otherwise leave it.

• Like 2

Several of my co workers were evacuated from the earlier fires and the evacuation topic came up in one of our safety meetings.  One of the co-workers was awoken at 2AM to evacuate in 30 minutes (her neighbor lost their house), other co workers saw it coming and had a few days to get ready.   Either way there were a few learning we shared with each other. 

• Here is a link to an evacuation list that was shared (depending on the time to get out of the house)...try to do the 15 minute list...if you aren't organized it will take the better part of an evening.
  • Another thing, video everything in your house and document expensive items, take photos of receipts or document the condition of the belongings in the video.  Insurance will not pay for things that you can't prove you have.  
    • I have a co worker still fighting insurance from the Santa Rosa fire in 2017
  • Also look at your insurance plan at cost per sqft to rebuild, co-worker could not rebuild for the cost of his insurance plan in Santa Rosa (was $25 per sqft, should have been $50-$75 to rebuild. especially when 100s of other homes in the area needed rebuilding)

My answer for boat would be no, all boats are replaceable.