Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram/GMC 3500 SRW

malibu2004

1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

You said you just put in your 7th, so you used 6 already. 6*2.5 = 15 gallons.

It probably got delivered full, so it really has used seven (the original plus the six he added).  Another way to do the math is 7,000 miles / 7 jugs = 1,000 miles per 2.5 gallon jug, or about 400 miles per gallon of DEF.

That seems like a lot. I tracked mine when I first got 18’ DMax and from what I remember I was getting 1000miles gal. (7,000 miles off full 7gal. Tank). Mine is not a daily driver which may help. I typically fill it at the pump before long trips but haven’t been tracking lately.  Maybe I’ll check it again next time I fill it.  

6 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Also, DEF is cheaper at the pump instead of those 2.5 jugs if you have a truck stop near by.

FWIW, Walmart now sells Def at about $7/jug, which isn't much more expensive than the truck stops, and a lot more convenient.    I hate using the busy truck pumps, and having to go in and pay instead of at the pump.  And maybe it is just me, but I've had trouble with the truck stops being out more than once.

Also, DEF does have an expiration date.  I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that the older it is, the less efficient it is, which would increase usage.

I'm happy that I only need it for my Grand Cherokee, which hardly uses any.  Someday I might upgrade my RAM to a version that needs it, but I'm hoping by the time I decide to bite the bullet on that, a better system is available.

21 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Seems like you are putting in a bunch. I guess it depends on your MPG though. Usage should be around 2% or so (per the manual), or 1 gallon of def per 50 gallons of fuel. I think I was putting in 2.5 every 4 - 5 tanks of fuel or so when I had to.

So for your truck, at 7,000 miles if you are getting 20 mpg. 7,000/20= 350 gallons of fuel..... 350 gallons / 50 gallons = ~7 gallons of def. You said you just put in your 7th, so you used 6 already. 6*2.5 = 15 gallons. Might ask your dealer to check it. A friend of mine had a similar issue with his ram, and the dealer made an adjustment for him.

Also, DEF is cheaper at the pump instead of those 2.5 jugs if you have a truck stop near by. Plus you get to fill your truck up in like 30 seconds with the fast fill pumps. :woot:

The gallon of def every 50 miles is about what I use. I don’t track it that close but I have always figured 1 gallon for every thousand miles. I average about 13-14 with my everyday driving of highway and around town. 

Not to get too far off topic.. but would be interesting to see how much better for the environment using DEF truly is. For the consumer: Worse fuel mileage, TONS of plastic jugs, maintaining of all the DEF systems, and maybe less engine longevity from EGR.

Industry: Make more fuel, make and ship TONS of plastic jugs, make DEF, manufacture DEF systems.

I have no research invested, just hoping it's not like the windmills that generate power that will never pay themselves off and can't be disposed of easily. 

My 2017 GMC 3500 has averaged 1000 miles per gallon of DEF and I tow about 80% of the time.  I've logged it for 18k miles so far.  Why are the new ones burning so much more?

16 hours ago, wedge88 said:

My 2017 GMC 3500 has averaged 1000 miles per gallon of DEF and I tow about 80% of the time.  I've logged it for 18k miles so far.  Why are the new ones burning so much more?

My GMC seemed to use about half of what the Ram has been using. I spoke to the dealer and they told me it should use less after "break in". I will be buying another Duramax soon.