Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I need CA emissions test to register out of state 2017 axis a22 with the CA DMV?

Ron Mukai

My name is Ron and I just purchased a used 2017 axis a22 in Utah from a private party. . I drove it back to CA to register it and was told at the DMV that I need to do an emissions test on the boat. I read on a blog somewhere that, after 2009, only engines Over 500 hp need this. I also read that engines may have a “hang tag” showing they comply with CA emissions standards and I must show this tag to the dmv.  Does anyone have any info or advise for me. I just want to register my boat in CA and go surf!  

I was just told by local Malibu dealer that the engine emissions certifications come with the boat paperwork.  Hopefully it’s in there and I can just take the certification down to CA dmv to register the boat 

if you got his total package of manuals snd notices, that he got from dealer, that its in there

dont know if it matters but my 14 has a CA certified sticker on hull above rubrail near windshield and i think it says 2020 standard on it?

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 9:37 AM, Ron Mukai said:

My name is Ron and I just purchased a used 2017 axis a22 in Utah from a private party. . I drove it back to CA to register it and was told at the DMV that I need to do an emissions test on the boat. I read on a blog somewhere that, after 2009, only engines Over 500 hp need this. I also read that engines may have a “hang tag” showing they comply with CA emissions standards and I must show this tag to the dmv.  Does anyone have any info or advise for me. I just want to register my boat in CA and go surf!  

Did you ever figure this out?

All you guys are awesome and so helpful!  The CA dmv doesn’t know what they are doing. The latest drama on my second visit is they told me I needed an exception letter from the air resources board of CA.  I called this board and they didn’t know what I was talking about. I printed out the form that one of you sent me And I’m also going to call malibu in TN to get a hang tag (even though I think I have one in my boat info packet). I’ll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all your help! 

On 9/26/2020 at 6:43 PM, teamerickson said:

Did you ever figure this out?

No. Not yet. I want to make sure I get correct hang tag and at least speak to CA air resources board before I go wait at dmv for another 4 hours. 

On 9/27/2020 at 8:30 PM, Ron Mukai said:

All you guys are awesome and so helpful!  The CA dmv doesn’t know what they are doing. The latest drama on my second visit is they told me I needed an exception letter from the air resources board of CA.  I called this board and they didn’t know what I was talking about. I printed out the form that one of you sent me And I’m also going to call malibu in TN to get a hang tag (even though I think I have one in my boat info packet). I’ll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all your help! 

All of you guys not in Cali. Welcome to Cali. The Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. It is like a monkey humping a football any time you have to deal with a government agency. So frustrated with this state. It has everything going for it. Except for common sense.
😫😡🥵

• 1 year later...