Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

metal metalic flake gel coat

Cynic

16 minutes ago, Cynic said:

Any truth to the rumor metallic or metal flake gel coat is less stout?  Picking colors for a 2021 and don't want to make a mistake!

Thanks in advance.

Well... it is a HELL of a lot harder to do a perfect repair on metal flake.

... but it sure is pretty in the sun!

20190830_155202.thumb.jpg.d05c31313a70f99c878dd0c56e52d059.jpg

Edited by gregtay
8 hours ago, gregtay said:

Well... it is a HELL of a lot harder to do a perfect repair on metal flake.

... but it sure is pretty in the sun!

20190830_155202.thumb.jpg.d05c31313a70f99c878dd0c56e52d059.jpg

Very pretty indeed! Haven't had metal flake gel repaired, but I would imagine it would look undistinguishable.

Since it's a clear gelcoat over the top of the flake, I think you might find that it's slightly more susceptible to discoloration. I've seen a boat that has SLIGHT discoloration at the waterline in the back corner. That boat is usually left in the water all weekend. It's SUPER minor and not easy to see, but if you're obsessive about detailing, you might notice.

It's also harder to repair, as stated above.

All of that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to have it on any of my boats. The upsides WAY outweigh the minor things mentioned above.

I've had three solid flake boats now.   I love the look.   I have had to have some minor repairs done and they came out just fine.

As others have said, there's a layer of clear over the color you choose, into which the flake is embedded.   Leaving a boat in the water with flake can cause discoloration for sure.  Just be smart and take care of your stuff and you won't have problems. 

• Like 2