Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Have wake-boats gotten too big?

bretcole

1 hour ago, malibudog said:

yes, and many of the houses in my neighborhood are just too big.  And I don't like the big trucks, some of which have four? wheels in the back.  And golf club drivers nowadays - way too big.  I liked em when they looked more like the rescue clubs of today.  And double big macs - way, way too big, not to mention the large size cokes.  Who can really drink that much coke anyway.  Hooters, now maybe those are not too big, but I am having a hard time thinking of anything else. 

DW some S:   :)

Do those big houses or trucks make it so nobody else can live in the town or drive on the roads safely (or at all)? No? OK. 

Funny tho. 

Edited by UWSkier
53 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Holy cow that's actually a thing!!!  I thought it was a typo!

mcdonalds-double-big-mac.jpg

Not gonna lie.  I'm both hungry and disgusted looking at that thing.

Double big mac only ruins the day of the person who eats it though.

14 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Do those big houses or trucks make it so nobody else can live in the town or drive on the roads safely (or at all)? No? OK. 

Funny tho. 

On my home lake Eufaula Ok., you almost need the newer bigger boats to get around the lake due to wind and bigger boats. 

Let alone lakes like LOTO or Table rock.

Now size aside I still prefer the lines of the older boats. I am not a fan of the newer box type lines. I love the looks of the 247 and even the X-80 had the cut nose sleek lines and it was a 28ft twin engine beast. 

I am not to fond of how the newer boats look like a square box. To me even the mighty paragon resembles the moomba max and others that don't have the same smooth sleek lines.

39 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Wow. Yeah, couldn't use that at my lake. Prolly at the giant lakes like LOTO etc. 

Wonder what they want for that. 600k? Maybe more. Drywt has to be has to be huge with the batteries. I would bet water ready with ballast and a small crew of 10 or 12..(small?)...you would prolly be 25 to 30k displacement. I could see a head high wave. Odd that they list a peep capacity. Throw a head on it and call it yaht certified.

11 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

Wow. Yeah, couldn't use that at my lake. Prolly at the giant lakes like LOTO etc. 

Wonder what they want for that. 600k? Maybe more. Drywt has to be has to be huge with the batteries. I would bet water ready with ballast and a small crew of 10 or 12..(small?)...you would prolly be 25 to 30k displacement. I could see a head high wave. Odd that they list a peep capacity. Throw a head on it and call it yaht certified.

I am guessing they are hoping for tourism operators to purchase this thing and do something similar as parasailing.   I am going to go ahead and say they will never build a single boat. Nice pipe dream... but manufacturing a boat is difficult and making a great wave is even harder, displacement alone doesn't make it work.  Plus the logistics of using this thing would suck... get 15 people on board and they each take turns surfing... so 14 people sitting around for an few hours?  And what about people learning to surf?  I can't imagine trying to teach someone with this thing.  Nice dream... and I encourage dreaming, but this isn't going to work.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I am guessing they are hoping for tourism operators to purchase this thing and do something similar as parasailing.   

They are probably trying to get wake to wake turks and caicos or sandals type of buyer. 

I agree it's a pipe dream. 

20 hours ago, cowwboy said:

On my home lake Eufaula Ok., you almost need the newer bigger boats to get around the lake due to wind and bigger boats. 

Let alone lakes like LOTO or Table rock.

Same here on Lake Norman.  I am utterly shocked how much better the bigger freeboard boats ride compared to our 23 LSV.  We are always "gaming" not not take all the water over the nose.  

Freeboard seems to be inversely proportional to the intelligence and courtesy of the owner.  Some eejit in a 24 ft MC past by me today, about 50 feet off.  Plow speed.  While I was fishing.  the lake is 2 freaking miles wide!  Seriously??

18 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Freeboard seems to be inversely proportional to the intelligence and courtesy of the owner.  Some eejit in a 24 ft MC past by me today, about 50 feet off.  Plow speed.  While I was fishing.  the lake is 2 freaking miles wide!  Seriously??

I have mentioned a salute cannon before.  Here is the one I made a few years ago.  It uses a 10 gauge black powder blank, and with 8 drams of black powder, it makes quite a satisfying boom.  A friend was counting down for me while he videoed.  You can tell that he enjoyed it.

Having trouble getting the short video to embed properly, so here's the link (turn the audio on):

https://imgur.com/a/BQatYD2

Perhaps you could shoot a nice salute over the bow of your favorite eejits and they would get a clue.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Nice!  LOL  Or...  https://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/UltimatePWCRepellent.html  Call it "The Ultimate Surf Boat Repellent".  A potato gun would work, too - but not as satisfying.

i've always supported a box of rocks as required equipment; if i can hit you with a rock you are too close.

6 minutes ago, tvano said:

i've always supported a box of rocks as required equipment; if i can hit you with a rock you are too close.

Reminds me of buddy who was big road cyclist (provincial team)   He used to carry  a couple of old bolts in his jersey and whip them at anyone who  did a brush back.  Plausible deniability - I mean there are old bolts all over the road and one just happened to take out a rear windshield.  ;)