Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Have wake-boats gotten too big?

bretcole

It's starting to feel like wake-boats have gotten way too big with most of the boats dry weight over 4000 lbs and you need a diesel rig to tow it. I miss the days when wake-boats were a lot smaller and you could tow them anywhere with either a full size S.U.V or a Half Ton truck perfectly fine.

Edited by bretcole

Boats are like cars, bigger and better that is what people want. 

I personally dont care for the styling of the new boats. To me the older boats had a "cleaner" look. That goes for all brands except MC :yuk:

I have zero problems towing a 23lsv with a half ton at 65-75 mph. My half ton is rated to tow anything in the Malibu lineup 

would a diesel make it easier? Absolutely but it’s certainly not necessary 

Edited by SOcalSurfer

I am towing my 2021 24MXZ (6000lbs dry) with my 2015 Tundra just fine.  I put bigger bump stops and a better Auburn gear diff on it but I can tow at 80 mph without constant downshifts (rpms at 2600) 

41 minutes ago, Gene3x said:

I am towing my 2021 24MXZ (6000lbs dry) with my 2015 Tundra just fine.  I put bigger bump stops and a better Auburn gear diff on it but I can tow at 80 mph without constant downshifts (rpms at 2600) 

Wow!

1 hour ago, Gene3x said:

It did tow the space shuttle! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Asking this question on this forum, answer will be no.  Asking it on any other forum of any water users, the answer will be an all-caps YES, potentially accompanied by some colorful language.

When I was coming off the water a few weeks ago, there was a fisherman on a low-profile bass boat sharing the dock with me.  He was asking if there were a bunch of "ski boats" back in the back area of the lake.  I asked what he meant, and he pointed at the moron surfing his Ri257 back and forth in front of the launch.  I said, "oh, you mean wake boats.  This (pointing at my Response) is a ski boat and we make the smallest wakes possible.  Yeah, there are a few back there."  He went on a pretty colorful rant about how people with those giant boats were making the lake unsafe for everyone.

Edited by UWSkier
1 hour ago, Gene3x said:

But a tundra can pull the space shuttle.  As long as you don't care about acceleration or fuel economy 😄 But in all seriousness, a ram 1500 pulls 10k (loaded car trailer) acceptably.  So an 8k load with worse aerodynamics seems possible.

Edited by oldjeep

I know towing was stated in the original post, but I take the boats getting too big back to styling.   I know most people surf, and surfing needs free board, but the late 90s early 2000's wake boats that were decedents from ski boats had very clean lines.  Now they just look like "tanks" instead of "sports cars."

• Like 3

What matters more than size, is where they put it ("That's what she said").  Seriously, a couple days ago, a 24 ft MC went by 50 feet off my dock.  Really?  And the surfer sucked.  Music was worse.  The lake here is 2 miles wide.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

What matters more than size, is where they put it ("That's what she said").  Seriously, a couple days ago, a 24 ft MC went by 50 feet off my dock.  Really?  And the surfer sucked.  Music was worse.  The lake here is 2 miles wide.

All too familiar scene on our lake. 

5 hours ago, Gene3x said:

Wow x2!

I would say yes boats are getting too big.  I know many lake shores, levees, and docks that are taking a more intense beating from the giant wakes.  Unfortunately if the larger more expensive boats sell they will keep making them.  Engines and props are going to be a limitation, with a single screw you can only push so much weight.  However I can see one of the MFGs trying a twin screw design again (like the old MC X80).  I don't know how this progression will slow....maybe some lakes might start outlawing boat sizes (but then that eliminates the large pontooners, cruisers, and cigarette boats).  

Like every sport, manufacturers are all about selling a product to push the limits (for the pros), and/or making the sport easier to enjoy (for the Joes).   Bigger boats seem to be the answer to this.

But honestly I can't wait till there is a boat out there that we can paddle into the wave.  Then at least wakesurfers might get some exercise :tease1:

Edited by Joeprunc

We are going to have to slow the engineers down!  I know many of you guys are tech guys or engineers like I am.  And you know when you get 10 - 12 engineers (think project team) working towards making wakes and waves bigger and better....you are going to get bigger and better wakes and waves.  

7 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

We are going to have to slow the engineers down!  I know many of you guys are tech guys or engineers like I am.  And you know when you get 10 - 12 engineers (think project team) working towards making wakes and waves bigger and better....you are going to get bigger and better wakes and waves.  

Heard that. Am an engineer also.

• Like 1