Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New paint Jobs

Joeltoo

I have a 2006 Wakesetter VLX that is in dire need of a total paint job. Does anyone have any experience with getting their boat repainted? I am looking for someone that is Awesome at a fair price.

Is it faded bad, or do you have a lot of scratches? Boats are not "painted" they have gel coat. Depending upon the severity of the exciting gel coat, you could either have it polished or wrapped before needeing re-gelcoat. But if so you're probably looking in the neighborhood of 10k

1 minute ago, 06malibu said:

Is it faded bad, or do you have a lot of scratches? Boats are not "painted" they have gel coat. Depending upon the severity of the exciting gel coat, you could either have it polished or wrapped before needeing re-gelcoat. But if so you're probably looking in the neighborhood of 10k

Although it is possible to actually paint a boat over the gel coat - take a look at @TenTwentyOne MC 300 build.

24 minutes ago, Joeltoo said:

I have a 2006 Wakesetter VLX that is in dire need of a total paint job. Does anyone have any experience with getting their boat repainted? I am looking for someone that is Awesome at a fair price.

I sure hope you choose not to paint it, unless you want to kill the value of your boat.  A good wet sanding, buff, polish will typically bring back gel coat.  You can always wrap the boat as well, but heavily document the boat condition prior to the wrap, otherwise it hurts resale as well.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Although it is possible to actually paint a boat over the gel coat - take a look at @TenTwentyOne MC 300 build.

2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I sure hope you choose not to paint it, unless you want to kill the value of your boat.  A good wet sanding, buff, polish will typically bring back gel coat.  You can always wrap the boat as well, but heavily document the boat condition prior to the wrap, otherwise it hurts resale as well.

It is definitely possible, and definitely the best finish option. That said, I chose to paint the 300, because that was a boat that was available with factory paint.

Had it not been, I probably would have had to use gelcoat. Like @Nitrousbird said, it could kill the value of your boat....

That all seems very ironic to me, as a good paint job should add value to any boat. It is a drastically better finish, and offers drastically better protection against UV damage. The only reason boats aren’t painted from the factory, is that gelcoat can be done well enough to get away with calling it a “finish”, and it costs quite a bit for the extra work/materials to paint them. Most of us can relate as to how bad some gelcoat finishes can be on such an expensive toy.

Quite a few high end cruiser manufacturers are offering factory paint now as well.

To the OPs base question- you may want to consider a wrap. You’d be surprised how perfect they can look if done right. A paint or gel job is going to run you 10k+. A wrap would likely be 2-3k. Otherwise you may be stuck with getting some quotes, from local boat shops..... as well as doing some digging on which ones do excellent work, and which ones are not so excellent.