Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Skim Board

cmargosi

Hey All,

With the current sales environment, buying a surf board (never mind demoing one) is pretty difficult.  That being said, I'm ready for a skimmer to add to my arsenal. I'm 6 feet and 230 lbs, so I'm a big guy.  What board and size do you guys recommend.  I'd say I'm an intermediate rider, with the thruster fins out of my Hyperlite shim I'm able to do a slide, get sideways and carve.  I haven't yet mastered a crossover and not yet at the point of a 360 or aerials.  Any advice is appreciated...I'm figuring my best bet is to buy a 21 when they come out and probably have to wait until next season to try it out, but definitely ready for something a bit looser in the arsenal.

Id suggest doing some research like you're doing and buy a couple boards used. Ive already been seeing them start to pop up. You could buy 2-4 boards used for the price of 1 new one. I bought a phase 5 prop for $200 this weekend and  I am currently talking to another gentleman about a phase 5 model x for $250. Thats $1300ish in boards new

On my smaller wake echelon I like my hyperlite coaster, nice and squirrelly with 1 or no fins. 

On my friends wakesetter he has a nice victoria skimboard that I appreciate more. It's 6" shorter but the wake has more energy

2 hours ago, cmargosi said:

where do you suggest to look for used boards?

Facebook groups/market place and craigslist. Most of the Facebook groups sell pretty quick but still worth a shot