Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 23LSV speedo not working

The speedo on our 2013 23LSV has been inconsistent lately.  Probably 98% of the time it’s accurate, but I discovered that is scary when using cruise control with a skier, and just plain sucks when surfing (speedo reads zero and surf gates retract).  So, something that needs fixing.

I know nothing of where to start.  Is this a paddle type?  Pitot type?  I’m hoping it’s a sensor I can replace, but any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated.  I’m also hoping to repair myself, to avoid a $500 service fee...

If by “speedo” you mean speed control then it very well could be the paddle wheel. On my 012 it’s a paddle wheel. Located under the boat closer to rear. It’s protected by two pieces of hard plastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  It is the speedometer that is not working (whether on cruise control or not).  I think you are right that it is a paddle wheel.  I’m not yet sure whether we are seeing a malfunction because of the paddle wheel or perhaps a connection or a computer issue...

I had the same boat.  It is a paddle wheel. Have you gotten under the boat and looked at the paddle wheel?  Mine was bound up by some fishing line. Cleaned it out and it worked like normal.