Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 LSV - I can’t get a good wave

Tomd2013

I have pnp’s in the back.  Stock otherwise. No lead.  

When I do get a wave, it’s a monster but really short.  Most of the time, it’s just churn.  Is that due to too much weight in the back or maybe a surf gate problem?  I literally have no idea what’s going on.  I’ve used factory set ups and have played with speed, power wedge, changes to ballasts etc.  

how do you guys get the longer waves with good push?

On 9/6/2020 at 10:29 PM, granddaddy55 said:

SG problem you can tell if sitting on rear locker or stand on swim deck and watch it deploy 

Yeah, I think my SG wasn't deploying.  I tried to reset it but no good.

I spent some time talking with Malibu's engineers about proper weight distribution when I was working on the wave for my '15 23 LSV. I was informed that the "correct" ratio of weight is 60% rear and 40% front with the center tank counting as front weight. If you want to get technical, you can call/email Malibu to ask what the capacities of each of the hard tanks installed in the boat are. For the PnP in the rear, don't trust what's on the bags. There were some issues with offshore manufacturing "shrinkage" over the past few years and many of the bags available don't have accurate data. I rigged a garden hose flow meter to the quick connects, so I was able to measure exactly how much water was in each of my PnP bags.

You've really got three variables to work with:
1. weight (I just provided the ratio)
2. enhancement devices (wedge & surf gate; make sure they're deploying, you may need someone to assist with verification)
3. balance (where people are in the boat)

Once you address each of these you should have a very usable wake. Items 1 and 2 are the most important, but don't neglect 3. If you've got the boat listed because everyone is on one side the surf gate may not have as much impact on the wake. The surfgate needs to be in the water for it to make a difference.