Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer jack


Philip

Recommended Posts

I was reading some posts on this forum with recommended gear to have on hand. I realized I don't have a lug wrench or jack for the trailer so I am going to order them. Do I need a special jack for a boat trailer? It's a Boatmate if it makes any difference. I tried to find one on their parts site, but I don't see one listed. Thanks!

Link to post
1 hour ago, Philip said:

I was reading some posts on this forum with recommended gear to have on hand. I realized I don't have a lug wrench or jack for the trailer so I am going to order them. Do I need a special jack for a boat trailer? It's a Boatmate if it makes any difference. I tried to find one on their parts site, but I don't see one listed. Thanks!

I just use the pickup truck jack and carry a foldable 4 way wrench for the lugs.

Link to post
2 hours ago, phinz said:

To make thing easy I take a battery powered impact gun. 

What kind did you get?  I bought a pneumatic one, but it was useless.  The compressor may have been undersized ("That's what she said"  :) ) so I returned it for a 120v  one and that thing rocks.  Of course to use it in the desert would mean a heckuva extension cord.  

Link to post

 

6 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I just use the pickup truck jack and carry a foldable 4 way wrench for the lugs.

The SUV has run flats and no spare, so no jack.

 

2 hours ago, phinz said:

Most of my trips I am driving in the desert so the temps are always over 100 degrees. To make thing easy I take a battery powered impact gun. 

I have a battery powered impact. I will have to look into that. We have been over 110 in so cal the last few days. I wouldn't want to be spending long on the pavement changing a tire. 

Edited by Philip
Link to post
3 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

What kind did you get?  I bought a pneumatic one, but it was useless.  The compressor may have been undersized ("That's what she said"  :) ) so I returned it for a 120v  one and that thing rocks.  Of course to use it in the desert would mean a heckuva extension cord.  

I went with the Ridgid 1/2 impact gun. If you shop around you can find it as a kit with the gun, a battery and charger. When you buy it that way you get the lifetime warranty. I have already replaced the batteries a few times over the years. You just call Ridgid up and they ship you a new one.  And yes that trip to Havasu is long and hot with nothing for miles. I called AAA once and they said 2 hours before they would even get out to me.

Link to post

There was a time, long ago, where I rated vehicles on "abandability", not dependability. Never filled them with more than half a tank of gas and I was ok to walk away from it wherever it left me stranded.This was of course long before boats, wifes and kids. A little off the topic but still near. If you're not prepared to walk away from it all, be prepared.

Link to post
1 hour ago, henrik said:

There was a time, long ago, where I rated vehicles on "abandability", not dependability. Never filled them with more than half a tank of gas and I was ok to walk away from it wherever it left me stranded.This was of course long before boats, wifes and kids. A little off the topic but still near. If you're not prepared to walk away from it all, be prepared.

That’s the $1000 car plan. Buy it, drive it till it dies, replace it.  The problem is you can get suckered into the marginal repairs.  Great song by the Bottle Rockets.  (Radar Gun is my favorite)
 

 

Edited by Bozboat
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...