Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Malibu Open

UWSkier

10 minutes ago, gregtay said:

ouch!  

Coupla things there - WAY too far forward.  But he held on to get pulled after it was lost to stay away from the skis.  I don't think there was significant ski cross-over  other than a bit of tail smashing.  I've seen worse, although the double eject was impressive. So... OUCH.

On 9/11/2020 at 6:51 AM, 85 Barefoot said:

obviously Regina is queen right now but I bet Allie Nicholson is competitive in the final.  Given the format I don't know that anyone will be too aggressive at 39 until then but I've seen Allie run 4 at 39 in person and she could be next superstar (as could Manon and Jamie of course, as well as Sam Dumala but she's not there).

I was lucky enough to take my family to watch the Hilltop Pro-am am a few weeks ago, and Jamie Bull ran 5 &1/2 @ 39 on Saturday and 1 @ 41 on Sunday before the head-to-head.  She cruised through 39 on Sunday in a pretty decent tail-cross wind; just from watching that weekend, I think she's capable of some putting big numbers here in the not-so-distant future when she gets some more chances at 41.  

On a side note, I watched the TWBC crew work into the night Friday, pre-dawn Saturday, into the night Saturday, and pre-dawn Sunday to make that broadcast happen at Hilltop.  I didn't see them stop to take a breath or to get a bite to eat.  Those guys are real pros.  We are pretty lucky to have such a good production team covering such a limited-viewership sport like waterskiing.  

And check out all the gear hooked to the boat.  They are taking real-time heart-rate readings from the skiers, measuring skier force on the line, measuring skier acceleration, have sure-path gps boat-lane tracking that can measure boat-path deviations to the centimeter, and I believe are even tracking things like wind speed.  The tourney boats these days look like they are heading in to take measurements in a hurricane.   

11 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

On a side note, I watched the TWBC crew work into the night Friday, pre-dawn Saturday, into the night Saturday, and pre-dawn Sunday to make that broadcast happen at Hilltop.  I didn't see them stop to take a breath or to get a bite to eat.  Those guys are real pros.  We are pretty lucky to have such a good production team covering such a limited-viewership sport like waterskiing.  

They are awesome. Take an hour and listen to their interview on The Water Ski Podcast if you haven already!

17 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Coupla things there - WAY too far forward.  But he held on to get pulled after it was lost to stay away from the skis.  I don't think there was significant ski cross-over  other than a bit of tail smashing.  I've seen worse, although the double eject was impressive. So... OUCH.

I was watching a little more of the jumping and there was a female jumper who bailed hard... but she was simply too close to weeds on her swing out and managed to hit one which caused her to tumble.  At least this guy made it to the ramp before his yard sale.

I wish they'd bring that back to Milwaukee, even though I don't live there anymore.  Was always so awesome having that location as a pro tourney site.  Wonder if the subfloats are still in there.

That was great.  I'm really impressed by so much consistent performance by the top-ranked folks.

On the other hand, I'll be critical (just this once) and say publicly that it really bugs me that most of the sports announcers I hear on TV these days have a crappy British Cockney accent.  At one point I heard, "E's a orfopaydic doaktah!"  And thank goodness that Felipe's "bruvah" won the jump tournament.  I'm sure that "Reginer" is happy about her performance, too.

Good grief.

19 minutes ago, justgary said:

That was great.  I'm really impressed by so much consistent performance by the top-ranked folks.

On the other hand, I'll be critical (just this once) and say publicly that it really bugs me that most of the sports announcers I hear on TV these days have a crappy British Cockney accent.  At one point I heard, "E's a orfopaydic doaktah!"  And thank goodness that Felipe's "bruvah" won the jump tournament.  I'm sure that "Reginer" is happy about her performance, too.

Good grief.

Tony Lightfoot is a former skier and does a pretty good job with this stuff, though I do think the best announcing combo of the weekend was yesterday when Ben Favret and Seth Stisher were on the mic together.  They had good chemistry.  Seth was funny, and a natural on the mic.

• 2 years later...
ahopkins22LSV
18 hours ago, UWSkier said:

The Malibu Open is on!  Sorry about your productivity today if you're WFH...  :)

Starts again today in about 10 minutes.

They just said it is 47 degrees air temp right now :shocked:. Maybe that explains the lower than expected scores from yesterday.