Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Malibu Wakeboard Wake?

eubanks

I was gonna try a different prop cup as well....   I will be definitely experimenting.  

I am kinda bummed that @NAW has the MXZ listed last in terms of wakeboard wake.  I was hoping that the newer design deep hull MXZ would be among the best with extra weight.  Similar to how the old Xstar sucked until you put so much weight that it would barely plane out. or adding extra weight to the G23 and G21. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I demoed both 2021 A22 and A24 back to back the other day.  Both boats had the M5 engine.  Both had 550 bags in the rear.  A22 had the power wedge and A24 had the floater.  No bow bag in the front of the A24 and I honestly didn't ask or check when we went on the A22.  I brought a 750 fly high to put in the middle near the drivers seat to simulate "human" weight as much as possible.  3 people in the boat.  Both boats had no issue getting on plane.  The A22 was like a rocket and I had the wedge set at 4 when I boarded behind it.  The A24 was slower to get on plane, but still way faster than my 11 A22 sacked to the gills.  Needless to say I was very impressed with the M5 engine in both boats.  If you're just surfing I have NO CLUE how anyone would think they need an M6 engine.  Quite honestly with all the information I was very worried about these boats struggling and needing the bigger engine.  Not the case.  Obviously it was just one day out on the water, but highly impressed with the engine.  It has me even thinking if the M6 is worth the 5k upgrade for the boat.  I think with a boat full of people it will be needed and that's why I'm still leaning that way, but with just 4-5 people no way.  To be honest on the wake, the A22 was not better than my previous A22 with the floating wedge.  That's just MY OPINION.  Now, with that said I also had a lot more weight in my old boat.  The A24 was similar to my A22 wake. . . has me wondering if I even want to go power wedge because the floating wedge just went to the spot and had me loving the wake.  Needless to say A22 is out and I will be going A24 after the demo.  A22 has horrible bow rise and the A24 didn't.  Before anyone says anything about surfing, I'm talking strictly wakeboarding.  I don't care about wakesurfing and don't understand why people think they need the bigger engine when you don't have the 14mph hump to get over to plane out.  That is my experience and take it for what it's worth.  I think elevation around me is like 500ft so if you're higher you could see different results.

On 9/8/2020 at 12:20 PM, Slurpee said:

See if you can borrow a 3077 prop to see if there’s any difference. Slightly higher pitch. 

The 3077 will help. I run the 3077 because we mainly surf HEAVY. 

Stock with plug and play.  A little lead. The only time we have problems is when I have 10-12 people in the boat. Then I start losing rear ballast only if someone want to wakeboard. 

• 10 months later...

Anybody have updates to this thread?  I had to revive it as I just sold my 2021 24MXZ and thinking about the new 2022 25LSV might be the new Malibu wakeboard wake reigning champ next year.  

I rode the M220 and liked it (similar wake to a G21 with steep tall lip and less transition) but would porpoise loaded with any wedge setting above 3.  I still have not been on an M240 but not sure how it could be $40k better than an already really good 24MXZ and improved 25LSV this coming year.  I am anxious to ride the new deeper hull 2022 25LSV. 

Thoughts anyone? 

6 hours ago, Gene3x said:

I rode the M220 and liked it (similar wake to a G21 with steep tall lip and less transition) but would porpoise loaded with any wedge setting above 3. 

That is a very odd comment from my experience. I am interested to know how you set it up. I flip back and forth from friends g21s and my m220 and I would say they are close to opposites as wakeboard wakes can get. 
The M has tons of transition and lacks a bit or lip. and the g-is almost all lip. 

I am setting up my M with 75% in the rears and in the center. 0 in the bow. (And no people up front) Wedge 3 or 4 depending on crew 

Everything full including plug and play.  Extra 250 or 300lbs  of lead in the bow and 150 lbs lead midship with 3 people.  It was much more steep than my 2021 24MXZ loaded to the gills with the same type of setup.  Maybe because you don't' have yours loaded all the way?  It was a demo so maybe I did not try enough configurations but it felt close to the G21.  Maybe it did have more transition than the G21 , it has been a couple of years since I rode it and I am just used to my 24MXZ long transition as normal now.  It definitely porpoised with any wedge setting above 3.  Does yours do that?

56 minutes ago, geogilbert said:

The M has tons of transition and lacks a bit or lip. and the g-is almost all lip. 

I'm with @geogilbert on the M220 lip.  It is a big reason I would go with a MXZ over a M220 (although the M220 does have a great shape). 

On 8/10/2021 at 11:28 AM, hunter77ah said:

I'm with @geogilbert on the M220 lip.  It is a big reason I would go with a MXZ over a M220 (although the M220 does have a great shape). 

I am confused.  You don't like that lip at the top?  My 24MXZ can put it there if you want with much more transition which I prefer because I am mainly wake to wake rider now that I am older. With the wedge I belive all of the Malibu's weighted properly can have a nice lip at the top. 

Now let's talk the new deeper hull 25 LSV redesign!  I am begging for wakeboard wake feedback on this thing!

35 minutes ago, Gene3x said:

I am confused.  You don't like that lip at the top?  My 24MXZ can put it there if you want with much more transition which I prefer because I am mainly wake to wake rider now that I am older. With the wedge I belive all of the Malibu's weighted properly can have a nice lip at the top. 

I love the lip.  I think the MXZ has the best lip of the Malibu line.  

Edited by hunter77ah
1 minute ago, hunter77ah said:

I love the lip.  I think the MXZ has the best lip of the Malibu line.  

Does that include the M240?   I just sold my 2021 24MXZ and did love the shape of the wake but the M6 struggled with the weight I put in it.  I was going to go back with a 2022 24MXZ w/ the LT4 or new 25LSV but wanted to give a serious look at the new deeper hull 25LSV and even the M240 if it makes sense or is that much better.  Since I wakeboard 90% of the time I don't see it being that much better to justify the additional $40k.

1 hour ago, Gene3x said:

Does that include the M240?   I just sold my 2021 24MXZ and did love the shape of the wake but the M6 struggled with the weight I put in it.  I was going to go back with a 2022 24MXZ w/ the LT4 or new 25LSV but wanted to give a serious look at the new deeper hull 25LSV and even the M240 if it makes sense or is that much better.  Since I wakeboard 90% of the time I don't see it being that much better to justify the additional $40k.

Haven't ridden the M240.

So I ride a G21 fairly often and came out of a 22LSV and while I do love the punch at the peak I am finding the meat in the M220 wake to be really nice. It take a bit of an adjustment to the way I used to ride but, once you figure it out I am getting absolutely booted off the top of it. Also the long transition of the M is nice for older knees and back. 

• 3 weeks later...

I actually need more people to ride with on Hubbard ..... Especially outside of the normal busy times because most of the riders I ride with are to busy to get out when the water is good.  I live on the lake so I can get out at the drop of a hat.  Send me a PM if you are up for it. 

BTW, I just demoed the new 25LSV yesterday and is absolutely the biggest wake I have ever been on.  I will likely be ordering soon. 

The only big wake I have not ridden is the new M240 and can't see it being bigger than this new 2022 25LSV with an extra 500lbs of lead and 1000lb sack to simulate people.