Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakeboard/surfboard storage while trailering

stein09

I have 23 lsv and have typically put my boards in the cab of my truck to avoid them sliding around or possibly blowing out from the floor of the boat.  In past boats I always had atleast 1 locker they could fit in but I dont have this option in my LSV. Never really gave it much thought until I had passengers in the back of my truck last week and didn't have a great storage solution as I didn't bring my padded bags that I use when trailering long distances but its a hassle to take them in and out 3-5 times a week with a short 10 minute drive to the ramp. Does anyone have any creative solutions to lock down multiple boards in the boat?

I know I will probably get flamed for saying it, but I normally leave my boards in my racks for my 10 min or less, ride to the ramp. I do however use nylon straps with Fastex clips around the rack and the boards to ensure that I don’t have a board fly out of the racks enroute. The ride on the paved road is a lot less abusive on the boards then bouncing across the wave tops and dodging idiots so I am not concerned nor have I seen any adverse effects on the boards. 

with such a short ride, put them in the floorboard of the boat.  fins up and and they will stay put.  I haven't had issues/damaged boards yet.

@wdr someone at WAS advised that if you are keeping your tow speed at/below max speed of your boat, it shouldn't be a problem.  Same goes with the bimini.

Any longer trips I use the same straps around the long flip up seat cushions and the boards to keep them from flopping around. I normally cover my boat for longer trips, but I have board security covered either way.

1 minute ago, Texan32 said:

with such a short ride, put them in the floorboard of the boat.  fins up and and they will stay put.  I haven't had issues/damaged boards yet.

@wdr someone at WAS advised that if you are keeping your tow speed at/below max speed of your boat, it shouldn't be a problem.  Same goes with the bimini.

Normally between 35-40. I keep eye open at all times. Murphy and Mayham being friends an all!😁

I put the windscreen in, close the windshield, and put them on the floor of the boat.  As a test, I've put paper towels in there and they have never flown away, so I don't think the boards are going to move either.  

• Like 3

I stand them on their sides in the walkway of the boat, with the wind deflector in.  foil goes in on the floor updside down behind, with a 50 lb lead bag on top for insurance.  Wakeboards go on the floor along the seat edges.  Been doing it this way for years and nothing has ever flown out.

• Like 2

I’ve just left my gear on the floor and hauled it for hours on end with out any issues. Now the giant splash pad is a different story, it gets strapped down and checked on throughout the trips

Ah yes, the giant floating splash pad, aka kiddie crack. I have 2 friends with those and younger kids. From the looks of those they were very wise investments. Sitting in the marina watching the kids crawl around on them it looks like someone kicked over an ant hill. 😁

We put wakeboards and the surf board in the bed of the truck.  Surfboard is in a bag.  Skis are under the seats along the side - also in bags.

As for the lily pad - look into a mission reef mat.  Fits inside a bag inside the rear compartment.  Just pump it up when you want to use it.

Edited by oldjeep

For short trips without the cover on I put them in a surf bag and run the shoulder strap through once the grab handles along the sides, that way there is no possibility of them flying out of the boat.