Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much money is customary for buddy to pitch in for gas wakesuefing?

Josh7711

Thank you in advance for reading this. We are loading the boat down with water and it does consume a lot of gas, how much should I ask a buddy to pitch in if he offers?

it’s a 2018 Malibu MLX with plug and play and 400lbs fat sac up front so it’s gonna consume a lot of gas. Thanks!

Most of my friends I invite out throw me a $20 each time. I feel like that is fair. Chances are they're not burning $20 in fuel but im the one paying for maintenance and insurance so im still in the hole in the long run

• Like 3

With how cheap gas is right now, I usually have them bring the drinks for a day trip and thats it.

If we are out for the whole weekend, most of my crew just asks how much gas we used and split it between all of us.

look at it this way, even $20 per person for nearly a day on the water is some super cheap entertainment they could not find anywhere else for that amount.  Even if you could rent one of these boats somewhere, you are looking at $400+ an hour.

I'm missing my old sticker I had on my last VLX ("This Boat doesn't run on Thanks")

• Like 2
1 minute ago, hethj7 said:

I always appreciate the offer from guests but I always respond “thanks but I am just happy to have friends out on the water so you don’t owe me anything”.  Many of them will still toss a 20 in my glove box, which we use through the year to buy ice cream and stuff at the docks for everyone.  Most guests always end up bringing some drinks and stuff to share as well.   

For guests that never bring a thing or do not even offer to help out, they eventually don’t get invites.  Those people are few and far between though.   

I didn’t buy the boat with any expectation of folks chipping in with money.  Not getting invited back out is never about not tossing me money - it was likely just you weren’t a great guest in other aspects.  No different if you never get an invite for a backyard BBQ.   

Nailed it!

ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I always appreciate the offer from guests but I always respond “thanks but I am just happy to have friends out on the water so you don’t owe me anything”.  Many of them will still toss a 20 in my glove box, which we use through the year to buy ice cream and stuff at the docks for everyone.  Most guests always end up bringing some drinks and stuff to share as well.   

For guests that never bring a thing or do not even offer to help out, they eventually don’t get invites.  Those people are few and far between though.   

I didn’t buy the boat with any expectation of folks chipping in with money.  Not getting invited back out is never about not tossing me money - it was likely just you weren’t a great guest in other aspects.  No different if you never get an invite for a backyard BBQ.   

This is exactly my approach. Great post. 

I guess I am the in the minority here.. When on the lake with friends thats just it.. Its my boat and all that comes with it is on me.. There is always a round of drinks or something that will be bought by your friends down the road.. Call it pay it forward if you will. Keep in mind my boat is older so I don't have a payment on it just gas and insurance.  Maintenance I suppose but thats on me as well.. I chose to have a boat and invite friends. 

• Like 3

I never ask, but what we've kindof settled on is 20 bucks every other time out.  20 bucks each time is too much for a few slalom sets, but I do have to tow my boat 80 miles round trip over a mountain pass every time out so the $ is appreciated.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

Feel the same way, I didn't buy my boat with the expectation that my friends would pay for anything..  Having a good time out on the lake with my family and friends is whats it's all about.

• Like 3

We typically have families up to our lake house for the weekend.  I usually will make a gas run (about an hour round trip, including time on the pump) one morning each weekend.  The other dad will usually come with me and bring his wallet, with the intention of paying.  What he doesn't know if that I have an account at the marina and never have to get out of my boat - they just charge me.  I don't want their money, but I always let them "try" to pay (which they can't).  The incremental difference that friends chipping in would make for me is nowhere near the value that I get from the experiences and  memories being created with them.  It is fun to watch some of them get a bit nervous when the pump is at 60 gallons (at $4 a gallon) and is still going though!

23 years ago when I bought my first boat, I probably sang a different tune, so no shame in asking folks to chip in.

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

This times 100.  Zero is what I say.  the boat is going out with or without said friends.  Have a good time and don't wreck my stuff.

First time we go out with other families or friends I always decline. Had I not been shamed by a friend last year with a Malibu after one outing (after he went on my old boat 20+ times without paying for gas - call me sour) I probably would reject all monies. 

We have a crew who goes out every week with me and they always throw me $40 to $60 depending on gas burn. Although sometimes I just say hit me up later or it’s all good. 

It’s usually three of us (that said person included) and I just text them a picture of the gas station receipt when I fill up next. It helps offset the gas but isn’t really equal to the cost of the boat, which people understand. It’s a low cost outing vs boat ownership. 

That all said I have never actually asked for gas money. Some people have thick skulls though so I can understand where that may be necessary. 

Edited by Raleigh
15 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

This times 100.  Zero is what I say.  the boat is going out with or without said friends.  Have a good time and don't wreck my stuff.

The guest acting responsibly and not wrecking stuff is worth more than $20 in gas

• Like 4

For day trips we never ask, pretty much figure adding others to the group adds to our quality of life.  Best day on the lake is with five or so kids that are having a blast and fall asleep five min into the ride home.  If someone is not a fit for the group then they don't get asked back though that is very rare, a little easier if they are not paying.

When families go for a week and we furnish the boat usually someone offers something and I accept.

My boat lives on a lift, so this might be different as I don't trailer.  Everyone I boat with also has boats, but mine is the choice for 90% of the time for surfing and wakeboarding.  I never expect gas money as I am just happy to have a crew and get a few sets in.  However, I never feel guilty drinking their beer.  :-)

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

I never ask, but what we've kindof settled on is 20 bucks every other time out.  20 bucks each time is too much for a few slalom sets, but I do have to tow my boat 80 miles round trip over a mountain pass every time out so the $ is appreciated.

you must be driving to Bartlett :) Lake Roosevelt is over 100 miles from Chandler and Saguaro is indeed a wash most of the time.

I don't accept any money for rides.  Usually my buddies will buy dinner for my family now and again.  I went out for a day with a friend of a friend to help him set up his surf wake.  I tossed a 50 in the cab of his truck.

1 hour ago, Jhucke said:

The guest acting responsibly and not wrecking stuff is worth more than $20 in gas

Couldn't agree more.  It's nice when they throw a $20 my way but it's never expected.  We're going out anyway so we'd burn the fuel regardless. 

Last weekend we took a young family out (kids same age as ours) and they had more rules for their kids than I did in the boat.  It was nice when they got on the kids for jumping on the seats so I didn't have to.  They brought their own food and drinks and shared with us.  We pulled out at dark and they stayed around to help wipe down the boat without us asking and then I found $20 in my center console.  That family will get invited a whole lot more and not because of the $20.  They appreciated our offer and repaid us by their help.  Kids had a blast too so guess who we're heading to the lake with this weekend??

• Like 4

I never ask for money and I never accept if anyone offers - although I do appreciate the offer.  We have a lakehouse and when we have friends stay the weekend, they inevitably bring food/drink for everyone or else treat us to lunch or dinner at some point, so it all evens out.  When friends say "let's go fill up on me" I always decline and say the gas was going to get used with or without them, and I smile to myself knowing they have zero idea that my 56 gallon tank x $4.00 a gallon on the water would be a hefty bill for them if I accepted.  Fuel cost is just part of the deal to have friends around to enjoy the boat with - it's all good with me.  

Edited by Leftlane
6 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Same here!!  If I invite you I am just happy to have my buddies come along. Heck between my  three buddies and their families that came out last weekend, they all handed me a 50 dollar bill. Obviously I didn’t take it, but they helped put the boat on the trailer and dry it off after we were done for the day.  

8 minutes ago, dwc032 said:

Same here!!  If I invite you I am just happy to have my buddies come along. Heck between my  three buddies and their families that came out last weekend, they all handed me a 50 dollar bill. Obviously I didn’t take it, but they helped put the boat on the trailer and dry it off after we were done for the day.  

Exactly - help picking up and wiping down, that's worth more than someone giving cash anyway!!

• Like 3