Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raptor 6.2L or M5Di

SMR

I've had zero issues with the 6.2L in our 2018 22VLX.  People say it's louder but I haven't noticed.  M5Di will be better on gas but our 6.2L was much better than our Indmar 5.7L 350 on fuel.  I struggled to get to wakeboard speed with our 5.7 and not an issue with the 6.2L.  I wouldn't hesitate to take a newer boat with the same engine I have but that's just me.  If you plan to sell in 1-2 years you could take a slight hit on resale or potential buyers may lean towards the newest technology BICBW.  I don't think I'll have any issue selling my 2018 and those with 2019s won't either.

I'm surprised you can still get the 6.2L though?  I know 2019s had a mixed bag of offerings but figured 2020s would be all Malibu motors.  If the price and options are right, do it.

2 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

I've had zero issues with the 6.2L in our 2018 22VLX.  People say it's louder but I haven't noticed.  M5Di will be better on gas but our 6.2L was much better than our Indmar 5.7L 350 on fuel.  I struggled to get to wakeboard speed with our 5.7 and not an issue with the 6.2L.  I wouldn't hesitate to take a newer boat with the same engine I have but that's just me.  If you plan to sell in 1-2 years you could take a slight hit on resale or potential buyers may lean towards the newest technology BICBW.  I don't think I'll have any issue selling my 2018 and those with 2019s won't either.

I'm surprised you can still get the 6.2L though?  I know 2019s had a mixed bag of offerings but figured 2020s would be all Malibu motors.  If the price and options are right, do it.

Remember GM's shutdown caused some delays in getting the motors for the M5 and M6 so they put the Raptors in them to get boats out the door.  I agree with you, the Raptor is a good engine.  There have been some issues with Malibu's engine and the impellers in the 2020's so that is something to keep in mind.  Any issues I have had with my Raptor engine were minor.  My boat is a 17 so my issues have probably been fixed since then.  I don't think I have heard anybody complaining on here about Raptor engine issues on a 2020 Malibu, but not positive.

Raptor is fine.  Downsides will be it is more thirsty than the GM DI motors, harder to work on as it is a physically bigger motor even with the same displacement as the M6, O2 sensor issues (though the M5/M6 has impeller issues), and the Raptor is loud.

ahopkins22LSV
19 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Raptor is fine.  Downsides will be it is more thirsty than the GM DI motors, harder to work on as it is a physically bigger motor even with the same displacement as the M6, O2 sensor issues (though the M5/M6 has impeller issues), and the Raptor is loud.

It’s more like a catastrophic failure of the catalyst than the O2 sensors. Those throwing a code is just the symptom. It seems to be more related to 2017 raptor engines though. 

All the information that’s been posted lately about the impellers is that the fix is in place and the supplier(s) need to fill the pipeline. 

@SMR, performance wise I would have no concerns. The raptor is a very strong engine and very capable in the 23lsv. The only concern I would have would be resale because it was a short run in the middle of the model year due to the GM strike. But if the box checks off everything else for you, I’d buy it. The raptor had been used before and is still a marine engine in super/moomba, MB, Tige, Sanger and other non wake boat brands. It’s not like it’s a Honda or something shoehorned in there. A lot of potential buyers may not even notice in the future. It still says monsoon on it. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It’s more like a catastrophic failure of the catalyst than the O2 sensors. Those throwing a code is just the symptom. It seems to be more related to 2017 raptor engines though. 

All the information that’s been posted lately about the impellers is that the fix is in place and the supplier(s) need to fill the pipeline. 

@SMR, performance wise I would have no concerns. The raptor is a very strong engine and very capable in the 23lsv. The only concern I would have would be resale because it was a short run in the middle of the model year due to the GM strike. But if the box checks off everything else for you, I’d buy it. The raptor had been used before and is still a marine engine in super/moomba, MB, Tige, Sanger and other non wake boat brands. It’s not like it’s a Honda or something shoehorned in there. A lot of potential buyers may not even notice in the future. It still says monsoon on it. 

I agree with this.  @SMR, there are no performance issues.  The issue with the catalytic converters is common, but I would think you shouldn't have that problem.  My understanding is that it has to do with the Y pipe configuration allowing water that enters the exhaust stream to hit the catalyst and cause it to fail.  The new iteration of that engine should have fixed this problem, which didn't effect all boats.  I experienced the failure in my boat at approximately 220 hours.  I have a friend with the same engine in a 2019 Tige' with 340 hours and he's had zero issues.  My point is that I wouldn't shy away from the boat if it checks your boxes with the Raptor engine.  Yes ,it is louder and a bit less efficient than the M6 but has plenty of power to do anything you'll ask of it in a 22 LSV.  I've never had issues loaded up getting on plane.  Even after surfing running back to the hoist, the boat planes out completely full.

• Like 1

I have a 2020 VLX with the Raptor motor.  I couldn't be happier.  It's quieter than my Tige was; and seems to have massive Torque.  I wouldn't have any reservations.

One other angle to consider; Indmar (who built the Raptor) has been "building" marine engines for 35 years; this is Malibu's first in house build...There is know way that they know as much as Indmar.  I'm sure they will get there; but experience is never free.

Which raptor?

biggest issue with raptor engine is the cats but covered under warranty (assuming you have warranty) and over all any paid for maintenance cost more as the engine is hard to work on. Spark plugs for example (16 and much harder to get to than the 8 on the gm)

m5 depending on which raptor might not be as powerful. M5 will have better fuel consumption and the impeller issue seems to have been resolved. Most are just waiting on the new pump housing and doing fine with it the new versions of the impellers.

On 9/4/2020 at 8:48 AM, tower210 said:

One other angle to consider; Indmar (who built the Raptor) has been "building" marine engines for 35 years; this is Malibu's first in house build...There is know way that they know as much as Indmar.  I'm sure they will get there; but experience is never free.

What did Indmar, or Malibu, build?  These are GM and Ford Marine crate motors.  Malibu and Indmar throw on accessories/tune and call it their own.  And typically, the shortcomings come from the accessories/tune.  Indmar has had various issues for years, so whatever experience they have doesn't necessarily equate to being better than Malibu.