Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help Recommending a Slalom Ski

MustGoFast

12 hours ago, braindamage said:

Write up a review of the freemax please.

OK - anything in particular inquiring minds want to know?  Shoot I always forget your local you could probably come out and try it

Edited by MustGoFast
5 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

OK - anything in particular inquiring minds want to know?  Shoot I always forget your local you could probably come out and try it

I have the radar vectors and are ok with them, but they have lost some of their structure so I may need new bindings

• 2 months later...

Looking to get my first slalom ski.  Reading through some of these threads I think I am looking at the Radar Union as suggested by many of you.  My question is what size? I am 5’6” and 150 give or take.  Some size guides have me listed for the 65.  Another has me listed for the 67 at speeds up to 130 and 65 for speeds over 130.  I am not looking to ski the course but definitely want to swerve as I progress.

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, Hemmy said:

Looking to get my first slalom ski.  Reading through some of these threads I think I am looking at the Radar Union as suggested by many of you.  My question is what size? I am 5’6” and 150 give or take.  Some size guides have me listed for the 65.  Another has me listed for the 67 at speeds up to 130 and 65 for speeds over 130.  I am not looking to ski the course but definitely want to swerve as I progress.

What speeds are you skiing? 67 will be a lot of ski for you unless you are in the 26-28mph speed range imo. I’d definitely lean more towards the 65 if you are in the 30-32mph range which is where id suggest you’d ski anyway. 

10 hours ago, Hemmy said:

FWIW, I'm 5'7" and 140#.  I prefer skiing 32-33 mph  (Used to ski slower, but the wake on my v-drive really starts to lay down at about 32 mph, with the rope at 15' off, so I learned to ski a bit faster).  65" ski is perfect for me.

If you are planning to ski behind your VLX, I recommend that you do NOT ski at full rope length and that you try to get your speed up over 30 mph.

Edited by srab
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

What speeds are you skiing? 67 will be a lot of ski for you unless you are in the 26-28mph speed range imo. I’d definitely lean more towards the 65 if you are in the 30-32mph range which is where id suggest you’d ski anyway. 

I have never skied behind my VLX so I will probably start out at the 26mph range until I get things figured out and increase speed as I get comfortable and improve. Between what you and @srab said, I will look for a 65. Thanks guys!

A Radar Union is fine to start, but if you want the ski to last more than a season (depending on how much you ski) I'd recommend jumping right into a 65" Senate.  It will take you a lot farther than a Union and won't hold you back any when learning.

On the Senate vs. the Union...https://www.wakehouse.com/blog/radar-union-vs-radar-senate-waterski-comparison/  Frankly, at 26 it won't matter much although a 65" ski will plow at that speed.  What have you skied?  There are different styles; I prefer Denny Kidder's stuff and loath (and I mean HATE) Herb Connelly's stuff.  

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

That’s a good comparison article. It sounds like the Union is a solid ski for @Hemmy, I’m just hung up on the speed. I really don’t think you will be happy at 26 and the wake on your 21VLX is not going to be good until 30-32. If you truly don’t see yourself skiing 30-32 though, I’d go 67”. You will need the extra size at 26-28. 

I'm a similar size and used to ski on private courses, but now on public water. For me it's more the water you are skiing on. If you are on glass water all the time the shorter ski should be fine. But, if you are on public water contending with other boats, waves and distance then the longer ski may be a better choice.

Steve B.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

On the Senate vs. the Union...https://www.wakehouse.com/blog/radar-union-vs-radar-senate-waterski-comparison/  Frankly, at 26 it won't matter much although a 65" ski will plow at that speed.  What have you skied?  There are different styles; I prefer Denny Kidder's stuff and loath (and I mean HATE) Herb Connelly's stuff.  

I honestly haven’t been on water skis in probably 20 + years so no real brand experience.
@ahopkinsVTX I am not set on a 26 mph speed. I will be fine going faster as I progress. I definitely will have some learning to do. I mentioned 26 knowing that it seems to slalom you probably have to reach at least 24 or so mph. If it starts out good, I will be giving the thumbs up. I will be skiing in the morning while the water is more glass.

18 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

I honestly haven’t been on water skis in probably 20 + years so no real brand experience.
@ahopkinsVTX I am not set on a 26 mph speed. I will be fine going faster as I progress. I definitely will have some learning to do. I mentioned 26 knowing that it seems to slalom you probably have to reach at least 24 or so mph. If it starts out good, I will be giving the thumbs up. I will be skiing in the morning while the water is more glass.

Then get a real cheap 66 or 67 off Ski-it-again and slap a nice universal biding on it (transferrable to another ski later).  Or if you have a shop around that offers demos, do that.  But be prepared for sticker shock since (like boats) ski prices could floor you.  I taught a couple more kids this past summer and I have four or five slaloms of various brands/sizes and I start them on planks then  suggest they try a ski to see how that works.

As for speed, 26 is stoopid (tm) slow - look closer to 28 or so.  On your V-drive the wake at 26 will be an obstacle to getting better.  Don't forget you can ski ANY rope length that you want to minimize the wake.  Like 24.5 off at 28.3.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’m just hung up on the speed. I really don’t think you will be happy at 26 and the wake on your 21VLX is not going to be good until 30-32. 

I agree, 26 is going to be huge behind a V-drive.  Free skiing I'd personally just bump it up to 30, minimum, and get to 32/34 as soon as possible.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 3

15 off, 66 inch ski.   I'm 5'8 and 145 lbs.   I ski behind my 21 LSV at 34.  Used to ski courses 25 years ago but now, at 64, I take it a lot easier.   I find double boots, releasable rubber type, to be more important than the ski particulars.  And I only lean it way over on glass.

Have fun and be careful!  Let your skill improve as you try more stuff.  It's not speed that hurts, it's sudden stops.