Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help Recommending a Slalom Ski

MustGoFast

I learned to slalom last year and like it, I have no desire to become competitive or run high speeds and risk injury, but I like riding one and feel like I'm learning something and challenging myself.  I typically just use one of my combo ski's that I have with the boat (can get up on 1 and cruise around) - running sub 30mph and just enjoying the carve.  Water on my lake is rarely calm and I only do this a handful of times a year (mostly surfing).  Thought I might enjoy an actual dedicated slalom ski more (I've ridden a friends comp ski it clearly turns better and is more fun).  (Spec: 5'10  200lbs)  - Priorities - easy(ish) get-up, able to run at lower speeds, turns nice, fun

So what ski would you recommend (if any)?  Like the idea of being able to share it with others (rather than dedicated user binding unless you tell me this is dumb) - Don't want to spend too much given the usage level (intentionally not specifying an amount as I'm flexible but less is probably more for me).

Also with a dedicated ski do I have to pick a front/rear foot?  I'm ambidextrous and haven't decided which foot forward I actually prefer yet.  I seem to start with left foot forward and when my back leg gets tired I switch then when that leg is tired I'm off to surf. 

which leg do you kick a ball with?

On bindings, you don't need to order a specific foot forward, but there aren't many adjustable size bindings out there anymore.  The Radar Vectors do a pretty nice job of spanning a fairly large swath of foot sizes though.

For your use case, I'd say the Radar Union would be a great ski to start with.  It has a comp ski shape, but is a fair bit wider than a comp ski.  It'll give you a really nice blend of ease of use, 30 MPH performance, and if you do decide to turn up the intensity a bit, it'll be right there to support your efforts.

• Like 2

@MustGoFast - first thing, we are jealous of being ambidextrous.  One way to pick which foot forward, have someone push you forward without you knowing when it will happen, leg you catch your self with or step forward is the front foot.  Like previous post, I kick lefty and am RFF.

There are numerous ski options, several threads to read up on here and on ‘ball of spray’ website but probably the best way to choose a ski is to demo several.  Great ski bargains can be has on ‘ski-it-again’ website.

And remind us you are totally casual when you start posting questions about the slalom course 🤣.  There is a high addiction factor to slalom skiing.

Agree on the radar bindings. I do think the freeride as it is specifically designed for open water skiing. Lots of stability yet carves. It also is about 50pct less drag than a COMP ski, so it’s easier for those that don’t do every day. 

1 hour ago, braindamage said:

HO freeride. You can get a blank for $125-200

Found this in some research but I was seing much higher prices fusion free ride seems to run 350 + bindings or am I looking wrong also what binding would people recommend 

@UWSkier @Woodski I kick with my right foot if pushed from behind I'll usually lead with my left foot (also the leg I jump off of)

Right leg is stronger though so I think I liked it in back as I seem to hold most of my weight on the back foot still hence the get tired and swap

36 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Agree on the radar bindings. I do think the freeride as it is specifically designed for open water skiing. Lots of stability yet carves. It also is about 50pct less drag than a COMP ski, so it’s easier for those that don’t do every day. 

What do u mean by drag?

10 minutes ago, SkiPablo said:

One of my ski buddies got a Union this year - it's actually a fast ski.  I would recommend a 69" Union with a Vector front binding and rear toe plate.   

I skied a Union this summer. I was surprised by it. Great ski. Easier to get up on then my Vapor. My extra pounds dont help.

For reference the Union was a 69, im about 6'3'' 220

Edited by KDCr7
1 hour ago, MustGoFast said:

@UWSkier @Woodski I kick with my right foot if pushed from behind I'll usually lead with my left foot (also the leg I jump off of)

Right leg is stronger though so I think I liked it in back as I seem to hold most of my weight on the back foot still hence the get tired and swap

It's normal to put your kick leg behind on a slalom ski.  I was an ambidextrous skier when I first started too.  Could drop a ski and ride around the lake with either leg forward.  Can't imagine trying that now.  Left leg as front won out for me also.

I surf goofy, wakeboard regular, wake skate goofy and  slalom left foot forward. I kick a ball with my right foot and wear socks with holes on my left foot. I guess I'm all kind of goofed up!

21 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

What do u mean by drag?

It’s the resistance of water on the bottom of the ski. More drag=more work from your body to get it to do things. Less drag=less pain on muscles.

I am not going to give a ski as I have not skied any of the ski's that are meant for a slower skier. And everything else I would say has been said. The one thing I will add is Wiley bindings are a good choice. And they often have some nice prices and sometimes have last years ski's at very nice pricing.   https://www.wileyski.com 

• Like 2
On 9/2/2020 at 10:10 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

Killer deal on a Union with bindings here: https://www.cottagetoys.ca/product/radar-union-slalom-ski/  About $375 USD

Clearly should have checked the boards yesterday - my size is sold out and the price is now 549 again.  Would love to find a great deal - but can easily wait to see what fall/winter brings as our season is almost over sadly enough.

While a lot of people who are learning to slalom put their weight on their back foot and try to steer the ski, the best form is to be balanced with equal weight on both feet and if anything more weight on the front foot when turning/ carving.  If your back leg is getting tired that is a sign you have your weight too far back.  The tricky part is to shift your weight by moving your hips up and forward with your chest up and not bending over.  My wife has a previous knee injury to her right knee and naturally puts less weight on that leg.  When I taught her to slalom I put her left leg forward to keep her weight forward.   To this day she still has great form because she keeps her weight on the front foot.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PURDUEskier said:

While a lot of people who are learning to slalom put their weight on their back foot and try to steer the ski, the best form is to be balanced with equal weight on both feet and if anything more weight on the front foot when turning/ carving.  If your back leg is getting tired that is a sign you have your weight too far back.  The tricky part is to shift your weight by moving your hips up and forward with your chest up and not bending over.  My wife has a previous knee injury to her right knee and naturally puts less weight on that leg.  When I taught her to slalom I put her left leg forward to keep her weight forward.   To this day she still has great form because she keeps her weight on the front foot.

Makes sense I expect it's a form issue - no different than when I learned to surf I was very back leg heavy, still am a bit more than I'd like but practicing riding switch has helped that - maybe the ambidextrous skiing will help me build better habbits, I definitely still struggle with the lean rather than the hips when I put my weight forward its just not natural yet.

On 9/2/2020 at 8:40 PM, braindamage said:

PS - found a great deal on one of these and the HO Freemax bindings only added $30 so I figured I'd snag those for now, can always change later.  Won't be hear until next week sadly but hopefully get out on it a couple of times yet before the water gets too dang cold.

5 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

PS - found a great deal on one of these and the HO Freemax bindings only added $30 so I figured I'd snag those for now, can always change later.  Won't be hear until next week sadly but hopefully get out on it a couple of times yet before the water gets too dang cold.

Write up a review of the freemax please.