Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Surf Board for the wife

Chad28

I want to get my wife a new board for her birthday. She is relatively new to surfing and can go rope less behind our 09 23 LSV. I have added 910lb bags to the rear and have the 4 factory hard tanks with the power wedge and shaper, so the boat makes a decent wave. Still trying to figure this all out as this was our first summer with a surf boat. She likes riding her cousins old Ronix Modello Stub Fish  from 2008 and we have a broadcast and a Liquid Force Primo LTD. She thinks the Primo is a bit slippery for her and is a lot more comfortable on the Ronix. She is about 165lbs and I want her to have one on our boat that she really enjoys riding. I was thinking of going more surf style for her since we already have the hybrid and I was looking at the Ronix Potbelly Cruiser. Does anyone have a better idea or thoughts?

In the same dilemma. Wife is very small at 5’2 and want to get her her own board. She’s riding my old phase 5 model x and it’s just way too big for her. 

I had my eyes on a phase 5 luv 48 but wasn’t sure if it’s a little too loose for her. 

check out the Connelly voodoo also, supposed to be a pretty solid “women’s” board. 

2 minutes ago, SOcalSurfer said:

In the same dilemma. Wife is very small at 5’2 and want to get her her own board. She’s riding my old phase 5 model x and it’s just way too big for her. 

I had my eyes on a phase 5 luv 48 but wasn’t sure if it’s a little too loose for her. 

check out the Connelly voodoo also, supposed to be a pretty solid “women’s” board. 

We got a Chaos Contender for my wife this year, and she's loving it.  Make sure on the build instructions that you correctly state her size, weight, and skill level.  Previously she had a soulcraft Emily that had just a bit too much volume, which made it too buoyant and hard to control.

https://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-contender

Ok so can I chime in except for my daughter. 
last year she road my Victoria Captain and liked it. Like the 19 year old kid that loves it. 
However,  over the winter she lost A LOT of weight. I think, I won’t ask,😁she is in the 130 ish weight range. 
she is now riding the old 07 Era Tsunami that d Sc I many people on my boat love. What would people recommend for a “personal” board for what I have described. She will s as kid ride the Shim and Time Machine. But she has found she really likes more of the skim style boards. 

7 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Ok so can I chime in except for my daughter. 
last year she road my Victoria Captain and liked it. Like the 19 year old kid that loves it. 
However,  over the winter she lost A LOT of weight. I think, I won’t ask,😁she is in the 130 ish weight range. 
she is now riding the old 07 Era Tsunami that d Sc I many people on my boat love. What would people recommend for a “personal” board for what I have described. She will s as kid ride the Shim and Time Machine. But she has found she really likes more of the skim style boards. 

Victoria Agent is same shape as captain, just sized for people who weigh less.  For a more advanced step more into the skim world, factor pcx.  They also have a women's specific board, the camile, one of which happens to be on sale in their outlet store: http://wakestore.victoriaskimboards.com/product/012-camille-2020-m/

• Like 2

To better help you may want to ask her what she likes and dislikes about the boards she has ridden.  The Broadcast and Primo are boat basic boards that don't turn well but get folks up and riding ropeless.  The slipper comment makes me think she is trying to turn or generate speed like a surf board...is she?  The Modello Fish look to be kind of the next step to a slightly more active board (still fairly stable).  As you get to the more intermediate to advanced boards, any slight weight movement while riding the boards will turn, and if not ready beginners will lose the wave (and get frustrated).  Looking at the reviews on the Pot Belly it shows both...very active, and very stable (completely opposites).  So looks like if she feels comfortable moving around on the wave on the Modello, this might be a good board for her to grow into.  But either board you choose you want her to stay on the wave (this = happier wife)

My wife rides our RonixPowerTail as well as two other wifes/GFs and its their preferred board.  I got the bigger model since my boat has a SMALL WAVE.  But when we ride other boats this is still their preferred board. However my wife is now doing turns and wants a board that is slightly more active....my new search has begun.