Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shipping a Boat Question

weekender

anyone ever transport a boat with its trailer on the trailer or loaded on a flatbed?

Sold my boat in CT now its going to AZ. using USHIP found adding uship cargo insurance specific to boats you can only get max $75,000 coverage, but the boat is worth more than that.

Found its hard to find a transport company that has insurance specific for transporting boats, as most insurance for cargo transporters writes policies excluding boats/vessel transport.

Any suggestions?

13 minutes ago, weekender said:

anyone ever transport a boat with its trailer on the trailer or loaded on a flatbed?

Sold my boat in CT now its going to AZ. using USHIP found adding uship cargo insurance specific to boats you can only get max $75,000 coverage, but the boat is worth more than that.

Found its hard to find a transport company that has insurance specific for transporting boats, as most insurance for cargo transporters writes policies excluding boats/vessel transport.

Any suggestions?

Yeah - either you or the person buying the boat should have insurance on it for the full value.

Somewhat unrelated question - you are arranging and paying for the shipping or the buyer is?

Edited by oldjeep

If you have sold the boat and have the cash in hand, the new owner should be responsible for the insurance now that it is theirs.  Any agent can advise if transport on a flat deck (done ALL the time up here) is covered.

Whoever owns the boat just needs to verify with their insurance company to make sure the full value is covered.

I’ve had a couple boats transported after I bought them. I spoke with my insurance both times and they told me that if something happened they would go after the transporter for their limit (in your case $75k) and then pay out the rest for my full amount covered through my policy. Either way they said I was good and not to worry about it.

Edited by vaporbluebu
On 9/1/2020 at 7:39 AM, oldjeep said:

Yeah - either you or the person buying the boat should have insurance on it for the full value.

Somewhat unrelated question - you are arranging and paying for the shipping or the buyer is?

thanks for all the suggestions everyone. spent the last 7 days or so working through this discussing with dozens of people.

Bottom line is this hope this helps anyone in the future because it was a major struggle for me:

- Before someone agrees to buy the boat if they need it transported, explain you need all the money in your account before it can be picked up

- Regardless of what anyone tells you the "price" they paid or got quoted for a transport, truckers are going to want to make at least $1.50 per mile on low end with no backhaul, and $5 a mile on the very high end ($5 per mile would be if they had two loads for one trip for example.

- Buyer should handle everything with shipping. Seller really Shouldnt even help out (easier to do when you have all the money already)

- If your transporting the boat have the tower down and shrink wrap the boat, otherwise the boat and trailer is about 10ft high, and trailer about 100" tire to tire.

- Legal limit for any trailer or load is 102" width max, 13' 6" high. so if you lower the tower its much easier and cheaper to ship, then it doesnt need to be registered for oversize.

- Ensure the broker or trucker you use to book the transport has cargo/liability insurance to cover your boat, and that their policies cover boats. most insurance for truckers specifically excludes boats.

- Ensure they have a DOT number and MC which i was told is required to conduct trucking commerce across state lines.

- Get a marina or dock with a large forklift with straps, a hangar with a strap lift, or a crane to get the boat on and off the flat deck its being transported on, otherwise the trucker will try to do a winch on or you can back it up on the flat deck, and its just a pain.

Hope this helps someone else because i didnt know any of this info when i got started and it ended up costing me a lot of time and money

18 minutes ago, weekender said:

Wincing doesn't work w the tow wheel and boats are loaded backwards all the time so they can be towed off

My hotshotter would disagree with you.  Making it easy for offloading at the risk to the boat is not a good play.  If you winch it one correctly, you can which it off.  In a perfect word it would be transported by a Landoll.

3 hours ago, weekender said:

Wincing doesn't work w the tow wheel and boats are loaded backwards all the time so they can be towed off

Uh, no.  You winch them on facing forward.  Typically the have a wheel assembly that attaches to the ball mount.  Loading backwards is not real bright, for reasons you have already found out.

Did the driver want to load it that way?

Edited by oldjeep