Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis surfgate not displaying on dash

My 2017 Axis A24 has been having a recurring issue with the dash control of surfgate. Basically what happens is the surfgate display controls on the top of the dash screen will just disappear. I won't be able to use surfgate when this happens and it pretty much makes the gate controles deactive. When I shut off the engine and power down fully and start it back up everything goes back to normal and the gate controls appear again as if nothing happened. I have tried updating the software but this issue pressists. Anyone know what causes this?

mine has done this about 4 times this season.  its annoying for sure.  But like you have figured out, kill the engine, let the screen power down...and its good to go.  My assumption is there is a connection somewhere in the boat or maybe even a stray CAN signal that get corrupted...and it bugs out. 

13 hours ago, Texan32 said:

mine has done this about 4 times this season.  its annoying for sure.  But like you have figured out, kill the engine, let the screen power down...and its good to go.  My assumption is there is a connection somewhere in the boat or maybe even a stray CAN signal that get corrupted...and it bugs out. 

if it is a connector problem I wouldn't expect it to be so predictable to fix, id imagine it would randomly start working again. If it's a glitch in the programming then that would make sense that clearing the system at power down and reboot would solve the problem. If it's a glitch then there needs to be a update patch for it from Malibu.

possibly.  but, if the dash readout is a CAN controlled signal, a momentary loss of connection could "trigger" the info to drop out.  Im really just spitballing.  After 21 years of working of working on satellite and radio equipment...and seeing the evolution of bot....there alot of "FM" that goes on with electronics that i can't explain.  I make my speculations that could actually be way out in left field.  But since the issue isn't persistent and resolved with a power cycle....i chalk it up to just one of my boats little quirks. 

Edited by Texan32
2 hours ago, Texan32 said:

possibly.  but, if the dash readout is a CAN controlled signal, a momentary loss of connection could "trigger" the info to drop out.  Im really just spitballing.  After 21 years of working of working on satellite and radio equipment...and seeing the evolution of bot....there alot of "FM" that goes on with electronics that i can't explain.  I make my speculations that could actually be way out in left field.  But since the issue isn't persistent and resolved with a power cycle....i chalk it up to just one of my boats little quirks. 

I agree with this.  Digital networks require each device to announce its presence and negotiate its protocol with the buss controller.  This generally happens on powerup.  Fault tolerant systems can easily renegotiate if they are built that way, but what I see these days is that the more complicated the protocol gets, the less likely it is that someone actually built in any tolerance at all.  To make it worse, they do a poor job with real-time operating systems as well now that processors are powerful enough that they can just use a separate thread for everything (shudder).

So I'm spitballing as well, but it is very likely that once a connection breaks and reconnects, the buss controller may completely ignore the device that asks to negotiate since the controller looks at its list and says, "I'm already talking to you."

I have seen on this site that Malibu allowed the use of at least one RJ-45 connector for a data buss.  These and other connectors were not designed for use in a high vibration installation, especially one that is exposed to high humidity. 

Find every connector under the dash and clean it, inspect it for pushed or bent pins, then put some lube on it before you put it back together.  This can be grease or spray oil, but the idea is to keep oxygen off of the contacts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

Having this same issue. It just started at around 80 hours on our 2021 A22. Seems like it happens about every day or so, if we're out on the lake for a long time.

Have you noticed if the problem gets worse?

Did you end up fixing it or does it just continue to be a glitch that is more of a tiny issue, that nobody can replicate for the dealer, and that never goes away?

7 minutes ago, HBsurf said:

Having this same issue. It just started at around 80 hours on our 2021 A22. Seems like it happens about every day or so, if we're out on the lake for a long time.

Have you noticed if the problem gets worse?

Did you end up fixing it or does it just continue to be a glitch that is more of a tiny issue, that nobody can replicate for the dealer, and that never goes away?

about 2 weeks ago, i had to trouble shoot a non-deploying gate starboard.  in my 18, in the port side locker are my surfgate breakers.  They are mounted on a removable panel.  I removed it and found the control module as well as my 4-pack relay box.  I can't be certain, but i would almost swear that the wiring harness on the control box was not 100% secure.  While i havent had the issue yet this season, im optimistic that re-seating the connector may fix my screen issues.  Might be worth taking a look on yours too.