Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

marine grade stereo recommendations

Rambo3460

Check out Kicker Marine Audio.  They are running some end of summer sales and they have a head unit they use for marine and UTV set ups that also have a matching remote if interested.

28 minutes ago, LakePTDoc said:

Check out Kicker Marine Audio.  They are running some end of summer sales and they have a head unit they use for marine and UTV set ups that also have a matching remote if interested.

I don’t think Kicker makes a single DIN HU that will go in the armrest tho?

Is there a misunderstanding or an assumption, that a conformal coated marine stereo is Waterproof? Those are two wildly different features. Every marine unit should have conformal coated PCB, but waterproof is taking it to the next level. This carries an IPxx rating. 

On 8/31/2020 at 4:56 PM, Rambo3460 said:

. I would like it to be good quality, easy to use, sound good, waterproof

15 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You don't need an IPnn "waterproof" stereo in the  arm rest.  BTDT.

Not my place to judge, just trying to answer the OP's question. 

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I don’t think Kicker makes a single DIN HU that will go in the armrest tho?

Your right but they now make some circular 200w head units.  And have a non standard size for their head unit.  I had considered a Fusion unit on my old boat.  They have models that have as many or as little options as you wanted.

On 8/31/2020 at 3:56 PM, Rambo3460 said:

I have a 2002 Malibu Sunsetter LXi and am looking for a good Marine grade stereo deck. I would like it to be good quality, easy to use, sound good, waterproof.  

Any suggestions.

what about replacing your stereo acc rocker switch with a WS BT rocker switch transceiver for about $100 or less on ebay it has on/off that supplies remote power out, pause play, bluetooth volume (phones volume), auto connect at power up),  you can then use it to power on amps and a 420 sq WS EQ in your side pocket and it easily fits .  

your music control (no phone necessary ) is now just a fingertip stretch past the steering wheel the size of a rocker switch and it was designed as a stand alone source if you dont want the EQ or a HU in side pocket and it works great 

i recommend both with BT RS and SQ EQ all wired remote power and ground to amp board ground and power distribution blocks ( no noise setup).

the alternative  420 BT EQ is also stand alone but requires the phone to control music but it would fit your side pocket.

i would under dash mount the SQ EQ snd abandon the inconvenient side space , so now you have easy fingertip past wheel control of tracks in dash and zone volume below dash to right of steering wheel (with all acc source snd EQ rca cabling from same spot.  there is an LED lit 420 SQ acrylic under dash mount on ebay i got for a bid of $90 but a shop installed it

use the side space as driver glove box for small things like the phone, car keys, sunglasses, etc

Edited by granddaddy55
Just now, granddaddy55 said:

bingo, that side thing is a disaster to me and my WS EQ under dash has held up well to the rains i have experienced with its  underdash protection 

My arm rest stereo has endured many deluges and no issues.  But it is still an awful spot for a stereo.

• Like 1