Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer backup camera

Philip

My wife has trouble backing the boat and has asked if we can put a backup camera on the trailer. I do see the newer Boatmate trailers can be configured with a camera and at least some of the parts seem to be available on their website. I am considering ordering the parts to retrofit a 2012 Boatmate trailer. Does anybody have any experience with these? Where is the camera mounted? Is it just on while backing, or can it be used while driving?

Alternatively, it looks like the Boatmate camera is from Rearview Saftey. They have a wireless rechargeable magnetic mountable camera that works with an iPhone that would just be usable for backing up.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/wireless-hitch-camera-backup-system-rvs-83112-wifi.html

Or a wired model with a screen that can suction cuped to the windshield in the tow vehicle and be used while driving or while backing. 

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/simplesighttm-wireless-backup-camera-system-5-single-screen-monitor.html

I am open to other suggestions as well. 

The best lesson to teach new drivers is to steer the tow vehicle using the bottom of the wheel. Which ever way you push the bottom of the wheel is where the toe trailer will go. Also when backing up try to get in a straight line for the direction you want to back up to. 

57 minutes ago, Bird said:

The best lesson to teach new drivers is to steer the tow vehicle using the bottom of the wheel. Which ever way you push the bottom of the wheel is where the toe trailer will go. Also when backing up try to get in a straight line for the direction you want to back up to. 

This was pretty my initial response to her and I agree a lot of it is going to be practice. But, when you can't see whats behind you it is hard to know which way to go. Our tow vehicle does have pretty poor visibility. 

ford has the back up feature on dash that makes trailer rookies trailer pros instantly (see vids online) where experienced boaters actually struggled

i also believe ford has a integrated  camera on newer f150,?  or is it another brand

i struggle terrible at night at a particular narrow launch with a limited back up starting space,  but the real issue is you cant turn off lights inside car even when outside lights are off so a camera would be nice!

On 8/31/2020 at 12:45 PM, Philip said:

My wife has trouble backing the boat and has asked if we can put a backup camera on the trailer. I do see the newer Boatmate trailers can be configured with a camera and at least some of the parts seem to be available on their website. I am considering ordering the parts to retrofit a 2012 Boatmate trailer. Does anybody have any experience with these? Where is the camera mounted? Is it just on while backing, or can it be used while driving?

Alternatively, it looks like the Boatmate camera is from Rearview Saftey. They have a wireless rechargeable magnetic mountable camera that works with an iPhone that would just be usable for backing up.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/wireless-hitch-camera-backup-system-rvs-83112-wifi.html

Or a wired model with a screen that can suction cuped to the windshield in the tow vehicle and be used while driving or while backing. 

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/simplesighttm-wireless-backup-camera-system-5-single-screen-monitor.html

I am open to other suggestions as well. 

Take her out in a parking lot for a v CB oie hours. Better yet let a friend take her!!😂😂

Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors. 

Any time I see someone at the ramp backing down looking over their shoulder (with the typical arm across the backrest), I know to steer clear of that driver.  I use that same "steer clear" rule for boats where everyone is wearing the orange horseshoe life vest, perma-bumpers, backing down with a team of people holding ropes, etc.

15 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors. 

Any time I see someone at the ramp backing down looking over their shoulder (with the typical arm across the backrest), I know to steer clear of that driver.  I use that same "steer clear" rule for boats where everyone is wearing the orange horseshoe life vest, perma-bumpers, backing down with a team of people holding ropes, etc.

Yup - looking over their shoulder or opening the hatchback on their SUV.  Typically indicates they have no idea how to back up a trailer.

I don't have any advice on cameras, but can sympathize in a situation where it is difficult or impossible to see whats going on behind the boat while backing.

My wife is a champ and backing up the boat. She dosn't really like it though. So when we put in I back it up to at least the top of the ramp. I get it all lined up so she just has to go straight back. Pulling the boat out is much easier because she can see fine with the boat off the trailer.

Only time I use my backup camera is when I am backing something like an empty jet ski trailer that is invisible...

1 minute ago, barefootpaul said:

I don't have any advice on cameras, but can sympathize in a situation where it is difficult or impossible to see whats going on behind the boat while backing.

My wife is a champ and backing up the boat. She dosn't really like it though. So when we put in I back it up to at least the top of the ramp. I get it all lined up so she just has to go straight back. Pulling the boat out is much easier because she can see fine with the boat off the trailer.

Only time I use my backup camera is when I am backing something like an empty jet ski trailer that is invisible...

One other thing the backup camera on the truck is nice for is when it is wavy seeing exactly where they are crashing on the front bunks when putting the trailer in for retrieval.

So it seems to me that you are talking about installing a camera on the back of the boat trailer, not just the back of the tow vehicle, correct?  Because, despite what some of the macho guys might think, that makes sense to me.  When towing my LSV with anything other than my truck, I can't see what is coming up behind me when towing, and I have a hard time seeing very far behind the trailer in the side view mirrors (impossible to see a fast approaching car when trying to change lanes).

This is the one I've considered adding to my 5th wheel RV.  I think it would work with a boat as well.

I do agree with some comments about getting more used to using the mirrors.  I'm not sure that the rear view camera is the best solution just for backing up.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XKSH8M5/?coliid=I2I3J1DB2K8JT0&colid=1EF5PY9DPM3WH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

11 minutes ago, RyanB said:

So it seems to me that you are talking about installing a camera on the back of the boat trailer, not just the back of the tow vehicle, correct?  Because, despite what some of the macho guys might think, that makes sense to me.  When towing my LSV with anything other than my truck, I can't see what is coming up behind me when towing, and I have a hard time seeing very far behind the trailer in the side view mirrors (impossible to see a fast approaching car when trying to change lanes).

This is the one I've considered adding to my 5th wheel RV.  I think it would work with a boat as well.

I do agree with some comments about getting more used to using the mirrors.  I'm not sure that the rear view camera is the best solution just for backing up.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XKSH8M5/?coliid=I2I3J1DB2K8JT0&colid=1EF5PY9DPM3WH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Seeing further behind is what the dumbo setting is for on Ram mirrors ;)

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Yep.  And it does me no good when I am towing with my Expedition.  Hence the statement "when I am towing with anything other than my truck".  1st world problems, I know.

Edited by RyanB
On 9/10/2020 at 3:00 PM, oldjeep said:

Funny about the dumbo setting..i have a 2500 ctd. Never liked the Dumbo setting, and don't use the mirrors out. In all honesty I dont really like the Ram mirrors. I like the gm ones better. Maybe because I have driven gm all my life. Wifey has a 2500 dmax and those mirrors seem to work better for me. Who knows.

1 hour ago, carguy79ta said:

Funny about the dumbo setting..i have a 2500 ctd. Never liked the Dumbo setting, and don't use the mirrors out. In all honesty I dont really like the Ram mirrors. I like the gm ones better. Maybe because I have driven gm all my life. Wifey has a 2500 dmax and those mirrors seem to work better for me. Who knows.

I love my dumbo setting :whistle:, I can see much better with or without towing something. Plus my brother hates them, so even more reason to run them that way.

• Haha 2
  • 3 years later...

So a few years later, are any of the now available wireless cameras worth buying. Thinking cheap with viewing on your own phone. Mostly for hooking up trailer to ball. No permanent mounts just Magnet Mount that could also be put on back of trailer frame if needed. Any of the crew tried them lately?

Edited by dalt1

Doesn’t the camera still need power? At that point you might as well just hardwire it in, doesn’t take much to run a rca ontop of the frame rail and into the cab. Obviously different story for trailer camera. 

11 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Doesn’t the camera still need power? At that point you might as well just hardwire it in, doesn’t take much to run a rca ontop of the frame rail and into the cab. Obviously different story for trailer camera. 

They are rechargeable fully cordless. Advantage being I could maybe move to the rear trailer frame in the rare occurrence I need to see that too.