Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Wakesetter Walter coupler possible problem

While in the process of replacing the worn out bushings in the strut, I pulled the prop shaft and removed the coupler for the Walter v-drive. When I pulled it off the driveshaft (there's a fun job, by the way...) I discovered that the key was sheared into two pieces, and it looks like half the key was still in the original slot, and the other half might have been in-between the coupler and the shaft outside of the slot. I couldn't actually see where the key was while it was still connected to the shaft, so I only noticed that it was sheared in two after I removed the coupler.

I haven't hit anything, and the prop shaft is still nice and straight (as far as I can tell - I'll take it to my friends machine shop and have him check it as I don't have a great way to do this). My guess is that the last owner hit something at some point. I think that the strut has been replaced, and whoever did it did a good job - but maybe they never pulled the shaft to check on the key in the coupler? I don't know. It could have been this way for the last couple of seasons that I've owned the boat. 

Anyway, do I need to replace the coupler, or can I still use it? You can see the wear mark inside the coupler where half the key was stuck. It "seems" to mount up straight on the shaft still, but again I can't measure it other than by eyeball. I'd rather not have to pull it again anytime soon so I'm wary of putting this one back on, but I also want to go skiing this week and don't want to wait for a new one. That's a lame excuse I know, but still...

As far as I can tell, the shaft is still ok - I don't see or feel any wear marks. Sorry it's so dirty in the picture.

What do you think?

coupler_03.jpgcoupler_05.jpgcoupler_06.jpgcoupler_04.jpgcoupler_01.jpgcoupler_02.jpg

Edited by amacbean
Changed title of post

I would use that coupler again, but I'm kind of that way.

You might want to take it along and have your machinist friend slip it on the shaft and check for runout issues.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, justgary said:

I would use that coupler again, but I'm kind of that way.

You might want to take it along and have your machinist friend slip it on the shaft and check for runout issues.

Good call - I'll do that.