Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLXI draft height with hull changes

thequink

The spec sheets show 2004 and earlier Response LXI boats with 16" draft, then starting 2005 it goes to a 22" draft but on the same SV23 diamond hull. In 2007 the hull was updated and the draft remains at 22". 

Does anyone know if the draft really changed from 04 to 05? I'm guessing they only changed the way they measure but the boats are identical... 

I'm interested in having a bow that is less likely to dip, any info you can share about which year bow sits higher or is easier to keep above the water-line is appreciated. 

For background I've owned 99 RLX and 03 RLXI. Thinking about a newer RLXI or Sunsetter LXI 

Thanks

03-06 RLXI are all the same as far as I'm aware.  There should be no change in draft.  With respect to dipping the bow, any 03-06 RLXI should likely be the same in this regard as well.  I can't comment on the 07 RLXi, but @Sixball probably could.  The SSLXI has a higher freeboard and may be slightly less prone to a bow dip.

The 07 was said to have less issues with bow dipping. I don't think I can say a lot about it as we ski in very quiet water. I can say I have dipped the older R lxi more the once. But that was not well skiing. I will also say I have seen people say that the 07 isn't as good for footing. I have not bare footed off my boat. Only a SS lxi. If I  have glass I am on my ski.;)  The 07 bow was taller off the water so it should be better. How much I can't say.

In 04 Malibu did come out with Gorilla tracking fins. Could they have added them to the 05 R lxi?  I still don't think it would have made that big of change.

Thanks for the input. Here I was thinking the 07+ RLXI had more freeboard than my 03. Guess not, but I have heard the bow design helps prevent dipping on the 07+.

We definitely aren't footers. Aggressive slalom skiers, mostly.

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

It does.  Draft != freeboard

But the 04 RLXI has 16" draft and the 05 RLXI has 22" draft yet they are identical. I assume the 07+ RLXI with 22" is the same amount of freeboard, unless they changed the way they measure again.... 

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, thequink said:

But the 04 RLXI has 16" draft and the 05 RLXI has 22" draft yet they are identical. I assume the 07+ RLXI with 22" is the same amount of freeboard, unless they changed the way they measure again.... 

I wouldn’t trust that 16” number. That sounds like it could be from the bottom of the hull to the bottom of the prop or whatever the lowest point is.

Sorry everyone. I was combining freeboard and draft in my head. Freeboard is how high above the water you sit, draft is how deep into the water. So while related, they are completely different. 

What I really want is spec sheets to show freeboard. Out of luck I guess