Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 Wakesetter battery issues

Batteries are not charging at all. They have drained down to nothing twice. Yesterday my son said it just shut down while running. First assumption is the alternator. Batteries were tested last week and were good. Dash was reading 11 volts most of the day then it fell on its face. Any thoughts?

Do you have the Dual Battery Switch and the Automatic Charging Relay from Blue Sea or something similar? If so, and if you pulled your batteries for any reason or replaced them recently, make sure you connected back up the smaller black wire from the Automatic Charging Relay to the negative post on first battery in the series (or wherever it was originally attached). It's easy to miss, and I had this exact problem earlier this year. The small black wire got pushed down behind the battery box and I just didn't see it when I put the batteries back in. Consequently, the batteries drained and never charged, and the boat died.

7 hours ago, Hukitup said:

Dash was reading 11 volts most of the day

11 volts on a lead-acid battery is basically dead.  It should be between 12.6 and 13.1 or so at rest, and above that (but below about 14.4) with the engine running.

...and your gut should be saying, "I really should check to make sure all of my connections are clean and tight before I spend a lot of money replacing something that works fine."  It should also beg you to grill your son about whether he was just floating with the engine off and the stereo on, draining the battery most of the time.

If a part is bad, replace it.  If you don't know that the part is bad, test it to be sure before you replace it.  @Hukitup, you say the batteries have drained down to nothing twice.  What brought them back to full charge in between?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 7:44 AM, justgary said:

...and your gut should be saying, "I really should check to make sure all of my connections are clean and tight before I spend a lot of money replacing something that works fine."  It should also beg you to grill your son about whether he was just floating with the engine off and the stereo on, draining the battery most of the time.

If a part is bad, replace it.  If you don't know that the part is bad, test it to be sure before you replace it.  @Hukitup, you say the batteries have drained down to nothing twice.  What brought them back to full charge in between?

I'm just gonna reaffirm this.